Starved Gosling please help

Unfortunately I can't get antibiotics without Vet and Vet is far away 60miles/100km away from me. In a big city. I could get something through a friend for humans only if I knew what.
Where do you live?
I think amoxicillin is a people antibiotic that also can be given to birds but at a much smaller doage of course. , someone who likely will know this and dosages @casportpony
The dose is 57 mg per pound twice a day for 7-10 days.

I remember my grand grand mother used to take egg shells of boiled eggs and gring it to powder and add to the chicks, could that be alternative?
Egg shells have calcium. That helps grow strong bones, but baby chicks or goslings need the right amount (too much is bad, and too little is bad.) If you have chick starter, it probably has the right amount of calcium already.

Grit is little rocks to grind food in the bird's gizzard. Eggshells will not work for grinding food.

Otherwise I just read that they get it from pebbles on the ground...silly question but can my plant soil do the trick (it's very dry) and add a bit around? I just never heard of chick grit.
Yes, they usually do eat little pebbles on the ground for grit. It needs to be little pebbles: not too big to swallow, but not tiny dirt or sand bits. Pebbles from the ground can work.

"Chick grit" is pebbles in a bag at the store (for people that do not have enough pebbles on the ground.)

It is better if the pebbles have pointy edges, not round and smooth.

Egg shells have calcium. That helps grow strong bones, but baby chicks or goslings need the right amount (too much is bad, and too little is bad.) If you have chick starter, it probably has the right amount of calcium already.

Grit is little rocks to grind food in the bird's gizzard. Eggshells will not work for grinding food.

Yes, they usually do eat little pebbles on the ground for grit. It needs to be little pebbles: not too big to swallow, but not tiny dirt or sand bits. Pebbles from the ground can work.

"Chick grit" is pebbles in a bag at the store (for people that do not have enough pebbles on the ground.)

It is better if the pebbles have pointy edges, not round and smooth.
Understood. Well the farm he was taken from had mineral rich soil but with clay and lots of rocks. I took soil for some of my plants from there. I will see if they have anything on amazon with reasonable time. Apparently pet shops around me sell food only for parrots and nothing for ducks and geese.

For now I put his grain and mais into a mixer for today and shredded in to tiny pieces, he seems to peck on it more now.
With chick starter i hope to help his apetite. But i will look what i can do with pebbles

Understood. Well the farm he was taken from had mineral rich soil but with clay and lots of rocks. I took soil for some of my plants from there. I will see if they have anything on amazon with reasonable time. Apparently pet shops around me sell food only for parrots and nothing for ducks and geese.
That kind of soil may be fine. If the soil has some small pebbles in it, just put a scoop of soil in his pen and he can probably pick out the right size pebbles for himself.

That kind of soil may be fine. If the soil has some small pebbles in it, just put a scoop of soil in his pen and he can probably pick out the right size pebbles for himself.
n ,.n ..jpg

I just got my hands on this, I hope it works. It was only bird grit in the shop

Where do you live?

The dose is 57 mg per pound twice a day for 7-10 days.
I found left over pills of Amoxicillina from my dog treatment. The gosling actually has infected eye i think.

Am a bit unsure if I can give him oraly the antibiotic if he is starved, won't it kill all his intestine bacteria that helps to digest?

I do have also Spiramicina and Metronidazolo that was given to my dog to protect the stomach but am really unsure about the bird. (he weights 330 grams)

However I can ask my friend to make solution for eye drops with antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom