Starved Gosling please help

gosling21

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
cjncccjhc.JPG

So I come from reddit. This baby was hatched on 21June, he was alone and rejected, I took him in from my friend's farm for 3 weeks until other goslings hatched. He was healthy strong active gosling and reunited sucessfully with his family and smaller siblings. Unfortunately none of the siblings survived later. 4 days ago I got a call that gosling I raised was half dead, he was put in a separate box with some food and water and I picked him up yesterday.
This photo i took yesterday. Am no bird expert but he barely grew at all, he was full of mud, liquids etc that I washed off with warm clean water. I was told that parents after a month just didn't care for him and stole his food and pushed him around, even if they acted protective over him, they lost interest with time.

I have no doubt he has niacid deficid and he is starved. He is a bit better today, very sluggish still.

I gave him:
Mealworms that he couldn't stop eating (food of my reptiles)
Fresh Salad cut in small pieces (he ate a full handful of that)
Clean water obviosly
Minced grains of mais and oats

I ordered Brewed Yeast that is powdered for dogs,cats and horses I hope it will be ok for him too it will arrive tomorrow.
I live in middle of nowhere, my country doesn't have any resque centres am surrounded by farms where birds are kept not as pets. I want him to have a second chance if it's possible with what I can provide from normal shops.

Can he still catch up on growth and make it?
He eats mainly from hands now...am not sure he can see, he keeps just randomly beaking everything but he understood my palm always has food so he beaks madly my hands. His nips are not as strong as I had him when he was 3 weeks old, but are stronger than yesterday. So far mealworms drive him crazy then a bit salad.. the grain he really doesn't like.

His nose was stuffy I tried washing his beak most I could...and will bath him again tonight
NutriDrench, VetRX , Electrolyte powder suggested from reddit I can't order with reasonable time. So for now just waiting for Brewed Yeast

How much he should eat per day realistically? what food I can add that is easily available?

Grass. Green grass that has NOT been sprayed with any chemical fertilizers or weed killers or insecticides. You can cut some with scissors and cut into small pieces (he will choke on long pieces)

Grass. Green grass that has NOT been sprayed with any chemical fertilizers or weed killers or insecticides. You can cut some with scissors and cut into small pieces (he will choke on long pieces)
Can salads still work too? I will look for grass, it's still not the season for grass where i live (all dried only hay) unless i go to local park and i don't know if anything is sprayed there, but I can wash it well under water, I bought some grass seeds for cats, should take few days to start growing.

lettuce and kale are very good hopefully you can get organic romaine and green leafy kinds of lettuce. my geese also like corn, cucumbers, and apple slices.

your goslings looks like it’s only a few weeks to maybe one month old , i don’t think it’s possible to be that small and was born early June. i think they gave you a different gosling and perhaps it is blind or partly blind so they didn’t want it?

also perhaps you already know this , he needs water dish or bucket that is deep enough so he can dunk his whole head into the water to rinse out his nares and his eyes .
you said he doesn’t like the grains you can try mixing a little of the grains with a little water and make a mash sort of like oatmeal consistency and try hand feeding him some of that. Hopefully your Brewers yeast will come soon that should help him.

lettuce and kale are very good hopefully you can get organic romaine and green leafy kinds of lettuce. my geese also like corn, cucumbers, and apple slices.

your goslings looks like it’s only a few weeks to maybe one month old , i don’t think it’s possible to be that small and was born early June. i think they gave you a different gosling and perhaps it is blind or partly blind so they didn’t want it?
It's him I can guarantee it. It's really him. He recognized me too. They have only 2 African geese. the female sat on eggs with chickens for too long, when he was born he was rejected, after 3 weeks there were born other 2 goslings that did pass away quickly withing next weeks (by that time i reunited them). He is the only one.
I fed him now lettuce and a bit of ruccola, he refused peas. I will try what you suggested and add water to grain with oats. For now i try to feed him every hour some greens. Apple slices..and cucumber i didn't try yet.
He has a deep bowl but i saw he doesn't like to dunk his face in fully.. i sort of "help" him, submerging his face briefly there. I hear him wheezing, not sure if from whole condition or his nose is stuffed.
About blindness.. Am sure one eye is blind now.

Since your feeding the gosling other feed than starter he needs some chick grit so he can "chew"it up, what i mean is they don't have teeth to chew their food but they have a gizzard which does it for them but they need grit or very small stones [very small] at the size of your gosling this is how they chew up their food. The brewers yeast hopefully has Niacin in it be sure to check for B3 and how much is in each tablespoon, you'll need to put this on his food daily. One tablespoon per cup of feed. As for the wheezing it may be from you dunking his head and he has some in his lungs I don't think I would do that anymore. It's just too easy for them to aspirate. Can you get regular starter food for poultry? if so you can get him on that with the brewers yeast and it will have all of the nutrients it will need as it is growing. I don't buy duck feed since I have a mixed flock and all my birds including goslings have done well on chick starter grower. I just have to add the extra niacin.

Can you buy antibiotics in your country without a prescription? This little one may need one.
Bless you for taking this gosling back and trying to help it get back to good health.

Since your feeding the gosling other feed than starter he needs some chick grit so he can "chew"it up, what i mean is they don't have teeth to chew their food but they have a gizzard which does it for them but they need grit or very small stones [very small] at the size of your gosling this is how they chew up their food. The brewers yeast hopefully has Niacin in it be sure to check for B3 and how much is in each tablespoon, you'll need to put this on his food daily. One tablespoon per cup of feed. As for the wheezing it may be from you dunking his head and he has some in his lungs I don't think I would do that anymore. It's just too easy for them to aspirate. Can you get regular starter food for poultry? if so you can get him on that with the brewers yeast and it will have all of the nutrients it will need as it is growing. I don't buy duck feed since I have a mixed flock and all my birds including goslings have done well on chick starter grower. I just have to add the extra niacin.

Can you buy antibiotics in your country without a prescription? This little one may need one.
Bless you for taking this gosling back and trying to help it get back to good health.
Thank you for reply, I think I got my hands on some chick starter, am not sure about chick grit or if it has it. I remember my grand grand mother used to take egg shells of boiled eggs and gring it to powder and add to the chicks, could that be alternative? Otherwise I just read that they get it from pebbles on the ground...silly question but can my plant soil do the trick (it's very dry) and add a bit around? I just never heard of chick grit. I was thinking to mince in also some oats in it.

The brewer yeast has all B vitamins for what it said, B3 too so I should start it tomorrow.

Thank you I won't dunk his face in water anymore. It's just I was worried, since when he was a hachling he always washed his beak and I read it was important. But I will let him be on this part then.

As am typing now, he ate 1.5 of that small container of cut lettuce. So in sense of apetite he seems to still have and it's increasing.

He has issues on right eye now that am looking. Maybe someone scratched it. I will try to wash it with camomilla tea.

Unfortunately I can't get antibiotics without Vet and Vet is far away 60miles/100km away from me. In a big city. I could get something through a friend for humans only if I knew what.

I think amoxicillin is a people antibiotic that also can be given to birds but at a much smaller doage of course. , someone who likely will know this and dosages @casportpony

Back
Top Bottom