Emergency, botulism? Gosling suddenly went limp can't hold up the head!

If he isn’t eating he will need to be tube fed, if his legs and joints seem hot that sounds like he has a fever, he probably has come down with some sickness.

Have you tube fed him before?
Listened to heart better, it's ONE TWO ONE TWO fast but they are consistent.
He managed to stand a bit longer and also yelled, maybe he stood around... 1 minute, refused the grain. Then I pulled out left overs of mealworms (their sheds) and it made him excited. I finished mealworms unfortunately... but it could spark his apetite maybe if i go fetch some more.
I gave immediately grain after, he ate tiny bit from my palm, better than refusing food entirely.
Now he is drinking while sitting down (full of brewers yeast) and after all this, falling asleep as if out of strenght,.
Better than in the night. where i thought he wouldn't make it, but he is very drowsy and sleepy still.
Beak and paws are not hot anymore. Eye inflamation also reduced.

Listened to heart better, it's ONE TWO ONE TWO fast but they are consistent.
He managed to stand a bit longer and also yelled, maybe he stood around... 1 minute, refused the grain. Then I pulled out left overs of mealworms (their sheds) and it made him excited. I finished mealworms unfortunately... but it could spark his apetite maybe if i go fetch some more.
I gave immediately grain after, he ate tiny bit from my palm, better than refusing food entirely.
Now he is drinking while sitting down (full of brewers yeast) and after all this, falling asleep as if out of strenght,.
Better than in the night. where i thought he wouldn't make it, but he is very drowsy and sleepy still.
Beak and paws are not hot anymore. Eye inflamation also reduced.
If he’s eating anything that’s a good sign. Whatever he will eat let him have, it’s better than nothing or tube feeding.

tube feeding is necessary once they’ve stopped eating, but it’s much more difficult with goslings because of their size.

If his fever is going down that’s an excellent sign, looks like the antibiotics are already working.

If he’s eating anything that’s a good sign. Whatever he will eat let him have, it’s better than nothing or tube feeding.

tube feeding is necessary once they’ve stopped eating, but it’s much more difficult with goslings because of their size.

If his fever is going down that’s an excellent sign, looks like the antibiotics are already working.
Yes came up with a compromise, put grain with all mixtures in mealworm leftovers, I really think the tube feeding might be too advanced for me.. so anything that works as compromise am ok. He eats, tries to stand etc. He is making tiny careful steps to drink from bowl and finally tried to groom himself.

He is resting with head curled on himself .. so compared to yesterday where he was laying on his side and head stretched on ground, it's better.

I would ask some help with vitamin dosage. I put him 10ml per litre. Not sure if too little or too much. +brewers yeast.

As am writing he lifted up to flap tiny wings and is cleaning himself while standing... I hope all vitamins and medicine kicks in,

20231017_211121.jpg

Birds:
Reluctance to move and dullness may be the initial signs observed in poultry. Botulism usually affects the legs of poultry and waterfowl first, followed by the wings and neck. Milder cases may be limited to paresis or paralysis of the legs. In gulls, the toxin’s effects on the wing muscles may be observed initially, with delayed or uncoordinated flight. Mildly affected gulls are able to stand and run, but not fly. Birds with botulism may have diarrhea with excess urates, as well as additional neurological signs such as paralysis of the nictitating membrane. The feathers of chickens may be ruffled, and they may be shed easily when the birds are handled. Birds may die from respiratory dysfunction, and waterfowl with paralyzed necks may drown. Egg production and quality do not seem to be significantly decreased in layer chickens with botulism.
https://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/botulism.pdf

Attachments

• botulism.pdf
    592.3 KB · Views: 0
I would go with the higher end dosage for the chicks but let me tag some people. Do you have anything with B vitamins also?

@casportpony @oldhenlikesdogs @Percheron chick @Miss Lydia do you have any advice on dosage with a mixture like this?
Ok I got him 10kg (22pounds) of feed with these things:
fhfhf.JPG

Then I got these pills for humans, not liquid but could be dusted and added in feed:
gjgjg.JPG

And am still waiting for liquid B vitamins to arrive for chickens.. but they arrive only on Saturday.

Birds:
Reluctance to move and dullness may be the initial signs observed in poultry. Botulism usually affects the legs of poultry and waterfowl first, followed by the wings and neck. Milder cases may be limited to paresis or paralysis of the legs. In gulls, the toxin’s effects on the wing muscles may be observed initially, with delayed or uncoordinated flight. Mildly affected gulls are able to stand and run, but not fly. Birds with botulism may have diarrhea with excess urates, as well as additional neurological signs such as paralysis of the nictitating membrane. The feathers of chickens may be ruffled, and they may be shed easily when the birds are handled. Birds may die from respiratory dysfunction, and waterfowl with paralyzed necks may drown. Egg production and quality do not seem to be significantly decreased in layer chickens with botulism.
https://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/botulism.pdf
Ok, his eye one that is damaged was blinking like this, but very very slow but it could have been due to renewed infection, the other eye he was closing as if passing out so i didn't notice. Now that you mention it he was blinking like this very sluggish or barely and only when i was trying to apply antibiotics, and i did feel it was odd.

At first he lost mobility of legs on Sunday at noon. It just started to happen by hours very fast, then neck was next in evening, on Monday morning he was chocking on his own food and I had to push food back out of his throat to mouth so he wouldn't suffocate. By Monday evening he was burning hot and was no longer able to hold head up so I was monitoring he would not drown in water bowl as he was laying on one side with head on the ground or in food/water dish. His legs felt completely paralized too.

Today morning he had no voice but could hold his head up, right now i feel no fever, and an hour ago he could stand and move a bit his legs and make a few steps. He now rests with head curled on back like a normal goose....so i hope whatever this was, is finally washing out of his body...He was shaking today but it's also reducing

Back
Top Bottom