don’t use the 1ml syringe.. get a 6 ml size because anything smaller when you try to use it with a goose, they start sucking it down their throat. I tried with a three ML syringe and my goose almost sucked it down so now I use a six

Oh my god thank you SO MUCH.
And no unfortunately no other birds right now. I have a female pekin duck that was his sister for a while. But she passed away like 6 months ago. 😢 and the landlady eill not allow any more animals. Luckily I am set to move at the end of this month. Getting a house. But yeah.. no possibility of any birds trying to mage and what not. Plus he's a male. So I doubt even if I had other birds thag would be the case..
Last night I did get him to eat some picked grass put of my hand. About a handful. And then I guess while I was asleep he had eaten a very small amount of his feed in addition to the small bowl of meal worms I had mixed together with a liquid vitamin b complex.

The feed he gets is Purina duck feed. I just got this bag like a few weeks ago..

I have an anti bacterial poultry spray that I started to apply on him as of last night. But I also ordered "mango dyna-mite mites and lice bird spray" from chewy last night as well as some "blu-kote" which is apparently effective against bacterial and fungal stuff..can be used to treat ringworm apparently. But I will also check that link out and see if I can order some of that as well.

A long time ago when my poor pekin duck was attacked and had open wounds from I believe a cat or raccoon, I had her on antibiotics. I believe they were literally fish anti iotics that I mixed with water that my friend told me I could get from my local pets mart or pet Co. I may still have that. But that's like a year old. I'm not sure if they lose their potency or not. So I'll still attempt in buying the antibiotics in that link you supplied for me.

For that antibiotic u sent me, I have a dropper syringe that can hold 1ml fluid. If I used that to administer the antibiotic, how much of it should I give him? And how often? Every 8 hrs or so? For like a week or two?

I REALLY appreciate all of this!!

Also please let me know if I should do the blu-kote and mite/lice spray in addition to the a antibiotics I'll order or if I should just keep it as simple as possible.

Aa for the vitamin deficiency I have a poultry vitamin mix that I can scoop into his water. But if it's specifically a vitamin E issue, when my pekin duck was attacked I gave her a vitamin e with selenium goat paste from tractor supply. About a pea sized amount. Would that be helpful here??

I truly truly truly appreciate your help. Honestly. This goose is my baby. He is EVERYTHING to me. I want to make sure I can do everything I can for him since I don't have any avian vets remotely close to me :(

Also small update
He is actually eating right now!!!!!! Yes!!!
Antibiotics do lose potency after awhile but it’s usually a few year, yours should still be good. Fish antibiotics are the same as human antibiotics also so it’s good for that reason also.

What kind is it?

If you do get it, Liquid Baytril 10% dosage is 0.05 ml per pound, it can also be mixed with drinking water as per the directions on the side of the bottle but it lasts a lot longer and you can ensure they’re actually getting enough if you use a syringe.
I strongly suggest getting a 6 ml or preferably a 12 ml syringe to administer liquid meds, the smaller the syringe the easier it is for them to get it down into their airway by accident I’ve found. 12 ml Syringes can usually be purchased at feed stores, Amazon, or at tractor supply if you have one in your area.

This is a great guide on how to administer oral meds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
If he’s squirmy you can squat over him to hold him in place with your body and legs, he won’t like the medicine but you can train him to see it as not that big of a deal by giving him a treat before and after the meds.

As for the Blu-kote definitely use that when it arrives. The more treatments you can try to but unless he’s itching frequently everywhere it’s probably doubtful he has a mite issue.

Antibiotics do lose potency after awhile but it’s usually a few year, yours should still be good. Fish antibiotics are the same as human antibiotics also so it’s good for that reason also.

What kind is it?

If you do get it, Liquid Baytril 10% dosage is 0.05 ml per pound, it can also be mixed with drinking water as per the directions on the side of the bottle but it lasts a lot longer and you can ensure they’re actually getting enough if you use a syringe.
I strongly suggest getting a 6 ml or preferably a 12 ml syringe to administer liquid meds, the smaller the syringe the easier it is for them to get it down into their airway by accident I’ve found. 12 ml Syringes can usually be purchased at feed stores, Amazon, or at tractor supply if you have one in your area.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
If he’s squirmy you can squat over him to hold him in place with your body and legs, he won’t like the medicine but you can train him to see it as not that big of a deal by giving him a treat before and after the meds.

As for the Blu-kote definitely use that when it arrives. The more treatments you can try to but unless he’s itching frequently everywhere it’s probably doubtful he has a mite issue.
Oh my gosh you're amazing! Thank you!!! Also here are the links to the videos if u can maybe see any mites crawling around.. I couldnt.. but I'd love a 2nd or 3rd opinion(s).

Okay, ill most likely order the antibiotics and I'll run to my local tractor supply today for a bigger syringe and tbat vitam e with selenium goat paste!!! Thabk you SO much

Oh my gosh you're amazing! Thank you!!! Also here are the links to the videos if u can maybe see any mites crawling around.. I couldnt.. but I'd love a 2nd or 3rd opinion(s).

Okay, ill most likely order the antibiotics and I'll run to my local tractor supply today for a bigger syringe and tbat vitam e with selenium goat paste!!! Thabk you SO much

Thanks for sharing the videos!
The skin doesn’t look as bad in the videos so now I’m more inclined to think it’s a mite issue and not an infection just yet, so definitely try the mite treatments when it arrives.

Thanks for sharing the videos!
The skin doesn’t look as bad in the videos so now I’m more inclined to think it’s a mite issue and not an infection just yet, so definitely try the mite treatments when it arrives.
Of course!!! And thank you so much for your feedback! Yeah his skin isn't like red or inflamed looking... but he just keeps scratching and preening and rubbing and losing more and more feathers:'((
And I will! I'm gonna try everything I can... I already ordered the antibiotics tho. Should I still give him about a weeks worth of antibiotics ad well?

What kind is it?

Hey so my roomate is actually having trouble ordering the antibiotics via the link u sent me. So I looked it up on chewy (which also has a faster delivery time) is this the same thing?? And what strength would I choose?? https://www.chewy.com/enrofloxacin-compounded-oral-oil/dp/381142

Hey so my roomate is actually having trouble ordering the antibiotics via the link u sent me. So I looked it up on chewy (which also has a faster delivery time) is this the same thing?? And what strength would I choose?? https://www.chewy.com/enrofloxacin-compounded-oral-oil/dp/381142
I’ve never used that before but you might try messaging @casportpony about it.

I can’t relay say wether your goose willl need it, if the bald spot does turn into a skin infection it will help it. Unless you start seeing signs of it though I’m not sure it’s necessary to treat with antibiotics.

I’ve never used that before but you might try messaging @casportpony about it.

I can’t relay say wether your goose willl need it, if the bald spot does turn into a skin infection it will help it. Unless you start seeing signs of it though I’m not sure it’s necessary to treat with antibiotics.
I jave another few questions, im sorry to bother, but,
Where could he have picked up bird mites? Since he is the only bird I have right now..and he doesn't have like.. a "nest" and he sleeps with me at night in his puppy bed.

Even though I haven't been able to spot anything crawling sround on him, the possibility of it being mites still is high.. but in that case.. how come my roomate or I have nor been bitten at all??

Vsn thr mites survive in likr 65°F air conditioned room? I've been keeping him inside the last few days since I didn't know what the problem was st first.. I mean.. im still unsire.. but I wanted to basicslly quarantine him..it got quite cold in her tonight snd I noticed for a while he had stopped
Itching and excessively preening.

I also heard that the blu-kote will sting and burn when applied on his skin :(( is that true..? I've been using a poultry anti bacterial wound spray on the bald spots.. if it is ringworm.. would this spray be effective against it? Or would the antibiotics be better?

Again. I really appreciate your responses and sll of your help!!!

Be sure to order the 10% solution in the Baytril [Enrofloxacin} is Baytril.
Even if it's not ringworm or a fungal/bacterial infection? I think another user said they're more inclined to think it's mites..
I don't see any lesions or anything
And for some reason keeping him in a colder area (aka inside in an air conditioned room) and he's not itching NEARLY as much. Like. Probably an 80-85% difference in his itching. With the addition of the last like day a half of using the mite spray and antibacterial spray since I got it in the mail

So idk.. we'll see if he continues to get better!

Back
Top Bottom