Geese raising goslings on their own and viability

Goose Smith

Songster
Jan 13, 2023
I am letting a goose rear her young this spring Do goose eggs last in pasture very long without being set on?

I have an African goose less than a year old who started laying February 8th, then took a hiatus until February 16th and has resumed every other day laying eggs.

She has 10 eggs at this point in a nest. We’re in zone 6a so we have had cool nights in low 30’s and we have wanted to let the goose handle the eggs herself but she has not gone broody yet. This is my first experience with goose eggs, but I do have an incubator that has been used for chicks and could incubate if I had to, just preferred to see things happen the natural way.

I’d appreciate any insight, my gut tells me to just be patient as she’s probably not done laying yet and won’t sit until then but I’d hate to miss an opportunity to raise goslings this year

If you haven't already, I would remove the first eggs. Chances are they are not fertile and they are pushing a month old out in the elements. Mark the rest of the eggs.
8-10 eggs is more than enough for a goose. Once she builds up a clutch start removing the older eggs keeping a fresh reasonable size clutch. Check fertility. I have 9 girls in my flock. In a typical year, 2 go broody. Never the same year to year. I have had success with yearlings. I have also had them abandon the eggs half way through or immediately after hatch. You just don't know. I now discourage yearlings from sitting on eggs. I lost about 6 hatchlings a few years back so I try not to make that mistake again.
Have the incubator ready jik and be prepared to take the babies away if she loses interest.

Back
Top Bottom