Freshly laid eggs.

ardeepapa

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
Hey people! Do you guys put freshly laid eggs right into the refrigerator while it's still warm? Or let it cool for awhile?

I dont usually get to them that fast I will be watching
pop.gif

Yeah hah, my hen actually lays almost at the same time of the morning so it's pretty easy for me to know when to look. But as for my question, in your opinion, would you place warm eggs straight into the refrigerator?
smile.png

Sometimes the eggs sit, sometimes they go right in the 'fridge. It just depends on timing. The kids collect 3-4 times daily. So, even in this freezing weather we get a lot of warm eggs. lol!

Nope, doesn't matter. I always put mine in the fridge right away, warm or not. One day I went to the coop to check and watched the bloom dry on an egg and it went straight in the fridge.

I don't even keep eggs in the fridge, any more. I did, at first. Not now. They cook better at room temp, and they're fine for a couple weeks at least. I sell or give away those I don't eat myself.

Personally, I think the only place you should be putting an egg that is still warm is in the frying pan.
smile.png

They should last a LONG time at room temperature, if you don't have to wash the bloom off. I kick my chickens out of the nest boxes at night and change the shavings often, so I don't really have to deal w/ dirty eggs. I've had eggs sit unwashed for a month or two and have yet to crack one that isn't good. If you routinely wash your eggs you'll want to refrigerate them, and you'll probably not want to put them in the fridge unwashed (theoretically anything on the shell can be drawn inside when the egg is chilled, I'm not sure how accurate that is).

I display mine proudly on the counter, in one of these:
http://www.longitude0.co.uk/egg-skelter/

Back
Top Bottom