Frey's Hatchery

silkienewbie93

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Hi! I've been looking to get some started chicks and I was about to order some from Frey's Hatchery until I noticed that they perform beak treatment. Has anyone had experience with Frey's started chicks? How severe is the beak trimming? I'm not really sure where else to get chicks from, there are limited options in Ontario.

It is true that there is not much choice for hatcheries in Ontario. I looked a Frey's online but they have a very limited choice of breeds and not the ones I was looking for. I picked up 15 new chicks from Performance Poultry near Trenton last weekend. So far they are doing well. I don't know if they offer started birds though.

There is also a hatchery in the Niagara area called Blooming Colours (or something like that) I found their prices to be expensive.

If you aren't set on a hatchery, there are a lot of small operated breeders that advertise on Kijiji. You will want to ask a lot of questions about how they keep and breed their birds and history of the flock. There is a lot more risk of bringing in diseases.

It is true that there is not much choice for hatcheries in Ontario. I looked a Frey's online but they have a very limited choice of breeds and not the ones I was looking for. I picked up 15 new chicks from Performance Poultry near Trenton last weekend. So far they are doing well. I don't know if they offer started birds though.

There is also a hatchery in the Niagara area called Blooming Colours (or something like that) I found their prices to be expensive.
I’ve looked at performance poultry and they do have a good selection but unfortunately they have a minimum order per breed and I was hoping to get quite a mix. But I’ll check out Blooming Colours!

If you aren't set on a hatchery, there are a lot of small operated breeders that advertise on Kijiji. You will want to ask a lot of questions about how they keep and breed their birds and history of the flock. There is a lot more risk of bringing in diseases.
I’ve looked at Kijiji a little bit, there’s definitely a great range of breeds. I’m just find it a little harder to find sexed chicks on kijiji but I’m going to keep looking :)

Back
Top Bottom