1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Friendliest Chicken Breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Salve&Fluffer, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Salve&Fluffer

Salve&Fluffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    What chicken breed do you think is the friendliest?

2. weaveagarden

weaveagarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    I have heard Buff Orpingtons are very friendly. But I am a novice, so not a lot of experience to impart. I am interested in the answer to this one as well. Thanks for posting it.

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Mine are

Orpington
    Cochin
    Black Copper Marans

4. Hillbilly Rooster

Hillbilly Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    I have had Buff Orpingtons for a yr know they are the greatest. My hens jump up at my hands wanting me to pick them up and pet them.

I have red sex-links that are friendly but got them for laying purpose to try them out this yr.

I have a couple Cochins they are more loners.

Buffs are on the top of my list to get more of next spring or if I get an incubator I will breed my own and sell cheap.

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I would say our cochins first but then buff orpingtons, RIR's, welsummers, and our japanese banty roosters last. We have other breeds but they aren't as personable. Next we are going to get some silkies b/c there are very friendly as well. [​IMG]

6. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    I got mine (BO) because of what all said about them being more docile and the friendliest breed. I have no complaints as yet. But also have nothing else to compare to. [​IMG]

7. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Brahmas are very sweet. And majestic - huge birds...look like they are wearing slippers. I call my rooster 'old soft shoe'. Easy to handle.

8. Silkiefan

Silkiefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    I grew up with chickens. We had Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks. I remember the BR's being more approachable. Last March, after having mulled it over for several years, I decided to get myself some chickens again, and through research, found that the most commonly recommended breed for having as a pet was SILKIE. Our Silkie loves to sit on laps and watch tv, and enjoys being an indoor house pet.
    My hand raised Barred Rock chick, at 8 weeks is also very snuggly, loves to sit on our shoulders as we walk around the house, and even enjoys riding on my dog's back. It's hard to say though... could ANY breed of chicken when hand raised as a house pet be this tame?

9. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I didn't forget my Silkies, but for some reason I can't seem to believe they are chickens. Totally perfect pets...so sweet and so easy to pick up, so cuddly.

10. Hillbilly Rooster

Hillbilly Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    In all reality the more time you spend with your chickens they will be friendly no matter what. It will probably take longer for some than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by