Friendliest duck breeds

For sure - so many people think ducklings are great pets for kids, because they're adorable and cute when little - like all pets I guess. Unless the adult is really involved in making sure they have proper care and lodging, I don't think they're super for kids. The fun wears out on kids quick and then it's all on the adult, and for some they won't get the same return in affection that they expect for all the work put in. It's just good to know going into it what a realistic expectation is.
Oh absolutely - we're getting them mostly for eggs/deal with a citrus bug issue around out fruit trees, but it is important to me that my kids are confident with handling animals as we expand from fruit/veg/chickens to include ducks/goats/sheep.
Thanks again!

I don't really suggest Pekin unless you want to put a lot of effort into their well-being. They seem to have a lot of health issues due to their size. But they are friendy.

Yes due to their size they usually require extra niacin. My pekin had problem with his feet too and niacin with calcium cured him. But they are cute and lovable.

Hi, so sorry to hijack the post. This is probably going to sound stupid but I'm brand new to ducks, hence why I'm stalking this thread😆 How does one cuddle a duckling without picking it up?
hahaha good question. Just sit down with them and gently place with on your lap while sitting. Just try to avoid carrying them whilst standing. They get frightened.

Ducklings love to be picked up and cuddled. Once they reach adult stage they don't like it. They're not like dogs or cats who like to be stroked and held. It's just a different relationship - but yes, ducklings are irresistible and you have a good month or so where they like to be held!
Holding ducklings is the best! These little ones would snuggle right in. Now they are almost grown and if I so much as reach a hand out to touch them they jump away. But I still love them ❤
20210730_143642_remastered.jpg
20210804_063151.jpg
20210806_141403.jpg

Holding ducklings is the best! These little ones would snuggle right in. Now they are almost grown and if I so much as reach a hand out to touch them they jump away. But I still love them ❤
View attachment 2925431
View attachment 2925436
View attachment 2925440
Your ducklings look sweet! Mine are friendly as duckling and then when they get to a teenager stage they get scared and then mine get friendly again as adults!(somtimes!) What breeds of ducklings are they? They are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom