Friendliest Roos?

How old is he? I have read that at a certain age their hormones surge and they are nightmares, but usually go back to being normal soon. It seems like it was around 17-18 weeks old. Ours is 16 weeks this wednesday. I can hardly wait.
roll.png

Quote:
I agree. As a first-timer, I was somewhat leery of my cochin rooster around 20 weeks and considered giving him away. For a couple of weeks, he was aggressive with the others and-- if I got him the wrong way-- myself. Never did he actually DO anything, but nonetheless...

He has since calmed significantly. We attribute his phase to "puberty", and not having the experience to discern between real threats to his hens, and people, or trashcans, or helicopters. Anything bigger and/or louder and/or more perceptively capable than himself were challenged. But he learned his place, and he's great. I'm glad he's protective.

I say give your guy a chance to simmer down. If you're still truly frightened, exchange him for a buff orpy perhaps? Mine was quite protective of one of the Delawares today. I didn't know why until I discovered she had laid her first egg.
big_smile.png

I say give him a chance. My Mom had a game roo that would come after me as a girl. So, I always keep a close eye out for any human aggressive behavior out of my BR roo. But he is a sweetie, and the one I just sold was too. I sometimes gently pin him down, until he stays still, and I will make him move away (herd) from me at times just to let him know I am the boss. He will tap on my leg for a wattle and comb rub. It nearly puts him into a trance, he luvs it.

REALLY COOL chicken! Is that a naked neck all grown up? I also have separated the aggressive roo...THOR, and he's been separated for 2 days now in his own triangle run outside back near all the girls, with his own food and all, and we've been talking 'nice' to him. At night I've put away everyone else first and then let him go to the coop for bed. Its actually a lot calmer here-he's been fine this way. I think I'll give it some more time too like the last few posts. I too think its hormones, I just can't have him hurting us all. But he's a great protector and beautiful too.

Quote:

Last edited:
Thought I would share an update. I still have 'Big Daddy'.
He is THE best at protecting the ladies and I couldn't come to terms with getting rid of him just because I was afraid of his looks.
(and I was chased that one time, but never since)

I know carry a BIG plastic bat (Bam-Bam style) and am ready to hit a home run should he step out of line again.
The bad part is my daughter can't come out and hold her hens anymore but we might get some banties and keep them at our house for her.
(this flock is at my dear M.I.L's)

Every now and then I will stare him down and do some chest flapping w/my arms to let him know "I AM THE ALPHA"
I also say this very loudly to him. lol

By the way, he is MUCH MUCH larger than this pic portrays. I was (safely) in my van (above him) taking these pics.

105594_chookseggssun_012.jpg

Last edited:
Big daddy looks a sweetie. I guess looks can be deceptive! Glad he is learning some manners, though.

My huge thing (Gordon) is a NNXBrahma who has grown to be MUCH taller than his Brahma dad. Gordon is not in the least bit aggressive, though.

Quote:
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif
Okay, thank you. I mean it! My 9 year old daughter and I are trying to do homeschool and its a dreary day outside, and this is JUST what we needed to brighten our day. I love the part most, that you're sitting safely in your van, at your home, in your driveway...sorry to laugh,I hope you laugh too, I'm sorry, but, I'd really like to see you flapping your arms and yelling, I"M THE ALPHA MALE!
clap.gif

Honestly, my rooster used to sneak up quietly behind me and stare, waiting for the perfect moment to take a chunk out of my leg. No kidding. And, the last time he did this, I turned and started chasing him and fell down the steps...of course, my mom and daughter were there laughing so hard at me!

Maybe yours is trying to say hello, good morning, where's my morning favorite snack?

Sorry, I keep writing. All joking aside, to me, it really comes down to quality of life and peace in my own home. I grew up with dogs and I have nothing against dogs, but we had one a year ago and it was a terror to have here-great dog, but wasn't the right fit for our home. The hardest thing to do was say I loved that dog and that he was a good dog but he still had to go. I needed peace and a quality of life in my home and yard. There's nothing wrong with having that, and there's nothing wrong with someone else loving your rooster
smile.png
I hope this was encouraging. Getting over the guilt of my entire family being unhappy with me took a while but I realized after letting the dog go to an large ranch to herd animals and hunt was exactly what would make him happy and I needed quality of life at my own home. I hope there's a good solution and you can make peace with what you need to do
smile.png
Good luck.

Last edited:
GoodLuckCharlie! :

Thought I would share an update. I still have 'Big Daddy'.
He is THE best at protecting the ladies and I couldn't come to terms with getting rid of him just because I was afraid of his looks.
(and I was chased that one time, but never since)

I know carry a BIG plastic bat (Bam-Bam style) and am ready to hit a home run should he step out of line again.
The bad part is my daughter can't come out and hold her hens anymore but we might get some banties and keep them at our house for her.
(this flock is at my dear M.I.L's)

Every now and then I will stare him down and do some chest flapping w/my arms to let him know "I AM THE ALPHA"
I also say this very loudly to him. lol

By the way, he is MUCH MUCH larger than this pic portrays. I was (safely) in my van (above him) taking these pics.

gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif
Okay, thank you. I mean it! My 9 year old daughter and I are trying to do homeschool and its a dreary day outside, and this is JUST what we needed to brighten our day. I love the part most, that you're sitting safely in your van, at your home, in your driveway...sorry to laugh,I hope you laugh too, I'm sorry, but, I'd really like to see you flapping your arms and yelling, I"M THE ALPHA MALE!
clap.gif

Honestly, my rooster used to sneak up quietly behind me and stare, waiting for the perfect moment to take a chunk out of my leg. No kidding. And, the last time he did this, I turned and started chasing him and fell down the steps...of course, my mom and daughter were there laughing so hard at me!

Maybe yours is trying to say hello, good morning, where's my morning favorite snack?
he.gif
e
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif
This is just funny! I know roosters can be a pain, growing up we had a barred rock that would get us girls every time!! Now as an adult we just got chickens this summer for the first time, and they were around 16-18 wks. Ugh that roo was a pain in the butt there for awhile, and even would chase my kids!! He would fly at them like some thing out of a horror film! I armed the kids with foam bats, and I took him on a couple times. He seems to be better, but what really helps him is if I catch him and love on him a little. He HATES it! I get some joy out of annoying him with my love and affection, but he has calmed down and ignores people now. Some one suggested raging hormones, and that might have been part of his problem, and your roo's too. Hope he doesn't have to be dinner, he is a very pretty roo!​

Back
Top Bottom