Friendliness or aggression?

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
This is my first time raising chickens. I have 3. They are 26 weeks old now but I got them when they were 6 weeks old.

I've never forced contact. ...tho I would love to have a real relationship with them and be able to handle them when necessary.

Recently I have been sitting in the coop with them when I clean it out in the mornings. They have fresh greens down in the run and I scrape off their poop board then sit down and make some chicken sounds. They invariably come up now and check me out leaving the greens behind.

They will get very close. If I try to touch them they might do that "flounder" thing if I get them in the right spot. Then I can quietly stroke their backs. Or they'll scoot away but then come right back. And they now peck at my hands and my toes. And when I say "peck" I mean they really peck! Like trying to get a bit of meat.

Also, my biggest "chicken" (as in the one that has always been most fearful) has started getting up on the top roost so she's behind my head and pecking at my ears. OUCH!

If this is familiarity and we're making progress I'll carry on but if this is aggression how do I get them to cut it out?

It's their dinosaur DNA, tasting you :lol:

Lol, I agree with everyone else, just curious most likely. My birds pretty much avoid me. Except for a couple silkies I had, they were the most annoying birds ever, always pecking my toes, and my toenails were NOT even painted Lol!

I personally wouldn't allow the pecking as it could also be dominating behavior. Also watch your eyes, many have gotten pecked in them by trying to be friendly with their birds.
Ditto Dat^^^!!!

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

It's a fine line between, cuddling and dominance.
IMO if you want a cuddly pet, get a dog or cat. Haha!
My chickens and I have a 'real relationship',
I feed them and they give me eggs and meat,
at no time is any bird allowed to touch my person without my permission.

They are reaching the age of sexual maturity and many chickens suddenly lose their baby fears as they mature. I stop being King Kong to them and I'm suddenly the one with the food and I'm getting tripped by chickens fighting over who's first.

I personally wouldn't allow the pecking as it could also be dominating behavior. Also watch your eyes, many have gotten pecked in them by trying to be friendly with their birds.

I had a Speckled Sussex, RIP Bonnie that was too friendly..She loved my friend Cheryl and followed her around. Jumped into her lap and scared the poop out of her. Then Cheryl would sit up on my Husbands sled Deck and Bonnie would hop up there to sit beside her..lol
Painting your toes and flip flops are not good with Chickens..I have learned the hard way...
Chickens are very curious if used to people being around..

Back
Top Bottom