Friendly breeds that are good layers

Afterburner

Songster
12 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Vancouver, WA
My neighbour's daughter wants to get some hens for eggs and pets. She has two kids, five and three, so she wants younger birds (6-8 weeks) instead of chicks. She wants the breeds to be good layers but still friendly enough to be handled. What do you folks suggest? I was suggesting Barred Rocks, and Sex-links since everbody I know has had good luck with them even when getting them at four months. Delewares are pretty rare out here, but haw do they lay?

I haven't tried Delawares, but they are pretty. My Buff Orpingtons are good layers, and a few are supper friendly. Same with my Dominques. I even have friendly RIR's.

Our red sex links are pretty good with being handled and are real good layers, we also have a black jersey giant that is pretty mellow. A really fun breed for kids would be easter eggers, they make good pets, and they lay blue/green eggs! Most hatchery catalogs have them under "ameraucana" but they don't sell true ameraucanas though, but as far as the colored eggs and good pets they are the same

I've seen buff orps recommended.
I have RSLs (sex links) they are fantastic layers but their personality depends on what kind of chook you get. I have some docile ones and others that'll take any opportunity to rip at your feet
tongue.png

Everyone will tell you different breeds, really. Just go with what is available. Sex-Links are the most reliable layers for the first year, common breeds like Rocks, Orpingtons, Reds, Australorps, and Easter Eggers are also good friendly layers.

Overall, my buff orpingtons are really mellow and friendly (and very soft). But my Buckeyes will actually get right under your feet and have to be near you at all times!

I have some silkies that are super friendly as well, but they lay a small egg (which kids LOVE!)

I've always been a fan of easter eggers and currently have 3 right now. I love the blue/green eggs and they're fuzzy little faces! Mine have always been good layers and very friendly but the sex links are going to out-lay any breed. I've had a few sex links in the past and they seem to have some pecking issues with eachother.

My ISA Browns are the most friendly, the Orpingtons are pretty friendly and my Plymouth Rocks are wild. The rest are in between. IMO, it depends on the bird and how it is raised. Buff Orps are known for being friendly but if they aren't raised to be friendly, they don't. Leghorns aren't known to be friendly, but if they are raised to be, they will.

Back
Top Bottom