friendly coturnix?

Quote:
It would be something if they all hatch but the eggs I have just gotten are kina at the end of the season and fertility is normally down this time of the year, the coturnix are dinner here frequently the wife will eat 1 or 2 but I am a growing boy I normally 2-4 depending the size and all . The blue scales are kina skittish but the gambles are pretty tame birds that and they are not the little pig poop monsters that the coturnix are LOL it is neat the same folks that buy turtle and groundhog meat from me are nuts about coturnix they like feral/wild squab as well the 60 was reduced to 48 last night after I candled them I have another 12-14 I just put in my overflow bator the one with 60 BW and the 40 corts LOL

MOST of my coturnix run to me and want treats and some even like to be stroked gently. However , my English whites are almost as freaked out by my presence as my Button quail were when i had them...LOVE my cots!

It's the "Feed Monsters" lot in life!

Once you accept your lot, then you will never be disappointed.

Try pounding this into those little pea brains....Running,jumping, falling or what ever out of the pen, and sending the "Feed Monster" on a 10-20 min. goose chase, doesn't get you GBS any faster....it may even cost you your head, but no GBS any faster
big_smile.png

Quote:
(washes off knife and shears, hoses off tree stump) I can attest to that. To be fair, they were extra males though, it was inevitable.

Quote:
Much like heroin, quail may become addicting... I had a hatching problem for a while, quail on my back as it were... But Im feelin much better now...Ooo is that a pip!!!....

And then he passed it on to me. I got the quail on my back too. Pippin, zippin, snuggling. Those little black beads for eyes lookin up at you, or stretching out under the light like a little movie star ( I need to make some heart shaped miniature sunglasses and a tiny fancy drink with an umbrella for the little loungers). We snuggle ours (let them come sit on something very soft and warm in our lap or just next to us on the couch after about a week to 4 wks old). I keep clorox clean up wipes close by and pick up little droppings so snuggling can continue. They like my son of 5 as he sits and watches a cartoon or movie. We only do it for a short period of time so that they can go back in and have water and food.

They all end up being regular old Coturnix, happy to see you at feed time, some peck my hands lightly hoping they'll extract a mealworm from me.
wink.png
No one thouroughly "enjoys" being held. Some will tolerate standing on my hand, so long as I continue to pair it with a food reward. but they do know me vs son, vs husband. Recognize people. Startle from sleep or change in routine easily.

Ya'll got me hooked. LOVE EM!!!!!! What did I ever do before this for fun???? I can't remember.

Tonya

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom