Friendly Roosters?

Jimagination

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
Lancaster, PA
Is there a breed that tends to have friendlier roosters? My EE Rooster is the meanest dang thing! He will go out of his way to attack us and I even held them a lot and gave them lots of treats. He is just plain mean!

I 2nd the Modern Game Bantam. My Cornelius is the sweetest little guy!

MeCornelious.jpg

My BLRW roo, Hotwing (RIP
sad.png
) was just sweet as could be. He NEVER even thought about attacking or biting.

Chickens164.jpg

Stupid was testing his limits, but he's settled down now. He's a Turken/BR/Silkie.

StupidChronicals005.jpg

And Kip is as mean as the devil. The only reason he's still around is because he's only 3lbs and it's pretty comical. He's a bantam cochin.

Chickens028.jpg

I have a Dorking rooster in with six hens, in a pen you have to get on your knees to get in it. He has 3-4 inch spurs and I was worried about him for a while, but he doesn't mind me in the least. Not even bowing up or puffing his feathers. He is very calm and agreeable little thing!

-Kim

Our blrw was mean to my boys, but we've had good luck with bantam cochins and silkies. (Only ever had one aggressive silkie roo.)

I think a lot depends on personal temperment, bloodlines and how they were raised. Some are just plain ole' mean and it's in their blood, but not always. Like I've never met a nice RIR roo, but I've heard there's a few out there. hehe

My Ameracuana Roo is the best calm and doesnt attack and is great. Very protective of his hens always comes running if he hears commotion even though he is not in the same pen or run.

Picture554.jpg

Last edited:
My Barred Rock boys are wonderful. Ive only had one that was the least bit skittish. My late great Hawkeye was the King of Roosters in every way, and would never in a million years, have thought to hurt me. He was sweet, calm, laid back, but a fierce protector of his girls against real threats. He just knew that neither I nor my DH were one of those threats. His son Zane is extremely tame and intelligent, will come when called, loves to be picked up and petted. He's injured right now and I may lose him, sadly, but he is a total lap roo. On occasion, you'll get an aggressive one, but overall, this is my favorite breed rooster. My Blue Orp Suede is also very much a gentle giant.

Honestly, ours is so mean my boys are afraid to go outside and play with him out. The only reason we have kept him is that he takes really great care of his girls even fighting off a small hawk one day and the fact that we are vegetarians and don't butcher our chickens. Trust me, if I wasn't he'd be in the pot in seconds.

I understand how hard it is to just dispose of a rooster when you admire them or have issues with killing/culling them. I cant do it either. It even makes me feel mean when I kinda hope the Hawk wins next time, or some other natural thing happens. Maybe you could rehome him? About having roosters of specific breeds that are better than the other, I have read of a number of breeds that have calmer dispositions and are less aggressive, but even then you have to factor in their background and individual personality. As an example - we have two white silkie roo's - one (Snowball) was raised in a breeder pen - and he is just awful. We are all just moving targets to him, even the "ladies" are put off by him. He spends plenty of time alone in the yard, or being chased off by my protector/Cuckoo Marans roo. Our other White silkie roo (Q-tip) is so much nicer, he's very docile, but he was raised indoor/outdoor as someones pet - now he shares outdoor housing with my "babies" - he lives with about 20 chicks between 8 and 12 weeks old, he is very gentle and calm, and totally trustworthy, although he thinks 1 a.m. is time to crow (we're working on that - the light is going off this week). Two of the same breed, different upbringings, totally different characters. Our biggest and best is actually the Cuckoo Marans, he is very protective of the ladies and of me, never aggressive to us at all (just to Snowball) and will follow me around the yard, take treats from my hand, and call for the ladies attention when there are goodies.
Good luck with your efforts to find a sweet natured rooster.

My BO roosters and the boys i have now (no idea what breed they are, maybe golden comets
hmm.png
) have always been really sweet, but we have had them from chicks. We hatched out the mystery chicks, and the broody who hatched the BO used me as a babysitter for the others
lol.png

They love cuddles and will follow you about the garden, and they've never acted aggressively to me.

Back
Top Bottom