Friends birds and coops are so freaken nasty!

bishopschickens

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Cumberland, VA
ok want alittle advise! A friend of mine who ive had some problems with lately has let his birds and coops go completely nasty! When you walk in the coops your automatically covered in mites. He has sick birds that will just die within minutes from walking around healthy. Also the sickness of these birds range from common upper respitory infections, to knots on their heads, to blood in stools. Basically name it and he has it. The past few months he has not been allowed anywhere near my place as I dont want anything tracked over here. I have even spent my own money to buy medicines for him to give his birds which he doesnt use. Just sickening to see which if you were able to see you would understand. In the past I sent people to his house to buy stuff as things were ok but cannot do that now. What would you do in this case as it concerns me to the point I dont go over there and he doesnt come over here.

Well, at this point, if you're not "friends" anymore, i would put in a little call to the spca or something. It's probably going to humanely put the birds out that HAVE to go out or go and get them "cured up" enough to adopt out. It's in the birds' best interest for you to intervien at this point. It must just break your heart to see that!!
hit.gif

hey missprissy,
Hope your doing well with your birds and can make it to the show in farmville on the 18th! I have thought long and hard about it but its not easy with him being a good friend. Plus the county is worthless and the head of animal control is good friends with him as well. I know I have cut any ties with him and will never tell anyone of his birds along with asked him not to send anyone from his house to mine as im not wanting to be associated with him. Sharon will know who im tlaking about and im sure will agree. He lost 50 birds in 3 weeks to diseases.

You have to report this. Also, please make sure that you shower and disinfect your shoes BEFORE you go anywhere close to your birds. Sounds like he has cocci germs there.

OH my! What a mess! That is just not right! Like I tell my kids, they cannot go to the fridge to get a fresh cold glass of water or to draw a bath for themselves. It is up to us to be stewards of these critters.

I would report him immediately, maybe somebody can cure the healthier ones or they can just be put out of their misery! What a shame!
barnie.gif

yeah i think i will its just not easy as he has been a good friend. Plus he is disabled (was in a car crash and is partially paralised on one side. Does this to make some extra money. Oh no like i said I do not go over there anymore for that fact. Ive had a few people complain lately to me in public which I agreed with them. They were not mad at me just couldnt been more discusted.. By the way sorry about my spelling im not a morning person.

missprissy I completely forgot about that. Maybe we can make a trade or something. Starting in NOV I travel to charlottesville alot so maybe we can meet somewhere and trade. I was excited two days ago as my button quail I just bought finally started to lay.

Brandon

Harsh honesty sounds like the best plan of action here. If he is a good friend, he'll care that you've become disgusted with his behaviour. Tell him you've come to a place where you're considering calling an enforcement agency on him. Give him a wake up call for real. Don't buy him any more meds and don't coddle him. He may straighten up, if not then you have to decide whether or not to call the authorities. If the head of animal control is his friend then he should care that his fiend needs some help. Perhaps if you call and explain the situation in friendly terms, the officer can have a friendly conversation with the guy. Threats don't usually work to change a person's habits, firm reasoning can. If there are two of you staging an 'intervention' you might get some results.

Back
Top Bottom