Friends for faverolles

WVchikinz

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2020
We're wrapping up our first official year of owning chickens and have recently made an order to add 8 new hens to our flock. Among the many different breeds, we selected one salmon faverolles as a substitution after the we placed the order because we accidentally ordering a breed that wasn't suitable for our climate. We hadn't researched this breed until afterward and we had seen mention that faverolles prefer company of other faverolles chickens.
My question is, should we get a pair? We currently have 6 ISA Browns and our spring order also includes an australorp, speckled sussex, wyandotte, barred rock, buff orpington and 2 Easter eggers.
I don't want our new hen to be lonely and I understand that they're usually low on the pecking order.
Thanks and happy new year!

I would definitely get a pair if you are introducing one chicken to a flock is a recipe for disaster (especially a docile one when you have some breeds who can be more dominant and potentially bullies). Ours integrated fine into our flock this year, but we had four of them and only have docile breeds of chickens.

If you raise all eight together and introduce them at once, then you might not need an extra. Never hurts to pair it with another Faverolles though incase there are no other docile chicks in the order.

I would definitely get a pair if you are introducing one chicken to a flock is a recipe for disaster (especially a docile one when you have some breeds who can be more dominant and potentially bullies). Ours integrated fine into our flock this year, but we had four of them and only have docile breeds of chickens.

If you raise all eight together and introduce them at once, then you might not need an extra. Never hurts to pair it with another Faverolles though incase there are no other docile chicks in the order.
Thanks for the helpful advice.
We do plan on raising 8 together and not mixing flocks until the new ones are full grown. We plan on 2 adjoining coops and runs where they can safely socialize.
We're thinking of swapping the wyandotte for another faverolles because we're reading how the wyandotte can become somewhat aggressive.

Thanks for the helpful advice.
We do plan on raising 8 together and not mixing flocks until the new ones are full grown. We plan on 2 adjoining coops and runs where they can safely socialize.
We're thinking of swapping the wyandotte for another faverolles because we're reading how the wyandotte can become somewhat aggressive.

Faverolles are absolutely lovely so it wouldn't hurt to have two (ours stick together, but can hold their own). I haven't had Wyandotte's so I wouldn't know their temperaments.

Back
Top Bottom