Frizzle cochins not roosting...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pbjmaker, Nov 30, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have a group of 7 *babies* that are around 14/15 weeks old. They all roost except the three frizzle cochins. Do they just have more problems with flying up to the roost? My smooth banty cochin and my showgirl get up there just fine.

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine don't either. Neither does my uncles. However, I will say, that during one hard freeze, I moved all the birds in the garage in elevated cages. When Cher (my frizzle) was in her cage next to the rosecombs, she watched them go to roost (I have a stick in there for them)...and what do you know? She was on the roost in a flash.

As soon as it warmed up and everyone was returned to their outside abodes, she's back to not roosting!

[​IMG]

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a group of 3-4 month olds that don't roost yet. sometimes even the adults sleep on the ground. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless they seem distressed.

4. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

most fizzles don't roost, a lot of times they do not have enough feathers on their wings to fly.

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Our splash cochin rooster won't roost way up with the 2 buff orpington girls. He prefers to sleep on a very low perch. Also, we had the water dish up on the higher shelf, but after noticing that he couldn't fly up to get water, unless we lifted him, we put it down to his level.
    Cochins and Frizzles must not have very long wings/not enough feathers i guess. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  6. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    all of my frizzles sleep in a box or on a box...they do not roost either..roosters or hens.........

7. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    i have never had frizzle cochins but i have had frizzle polishs and a regular feathered partridge cochin bantam and they would roost and fly just fine...hmmmmmmm ?

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Maybe they need lower roosts.

9. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My regular feathered cochin just started roosting along with my showgirl - they are all the same age. It is cute to see the three of them all snuggled in a pile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by