Frizzle Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by UGAchick, Jun 8, 2010.

1. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Is it possible that I just bought a frizzle marans? Is there such a thing???
    [​IMG]

Here it is with what I think is a BCM. Am I right?
    [​IMG]

What I think is a wheaten Marans hen. Some had very distinct dark wing feathers. I was hoping that those were the males.
    [​IMG]

And the two Welsummers
    [​IMG]

I had a great chicken buying experience today. The guy was super nice, had hundreds of chickens of all different breeds free-ranging on his farm. My only concern is that I didn't do a great job picking the chicks. What do you guys think?

2. UGAchick

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Oops. It got moved. Maybe someone here knows the answer...

3. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    I do not know but I want a Frizzle Marans

4. UGAchick

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Seriously! When I saw that one running around I got VERY excited!!

5. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't have much to add here except, Go Dawgs and adorable peeps!

6. Rockpile99

Rockpile99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Longmont
    I haven't heard of any one purposely breeding Frizzled Marans. I have heard though that due to (I think) humidity and temperature conditions some chicks can look like they are frizzled.

ETA - Love your wheaton by the way!!!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. UGAchick

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I am kicking myself for only getting one Wheaten! I can't really have roosters where I am. Actually, I am not supposed to have chickens at all, but I like to bend the rules. I tried to contact the guy to see if I can get some more of those wheatens. I think that they may be my favorite chicken overall!

Rockpile - It is humid here (I live in GA), but do you think that one would be affected and the other not? Actually, it was the only one with feathers like this.

Tiss - GO Dawgs!

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I dont think the humidity would make the Marans frizzled. It is plenty humid here and none of mine look that way nor did they when they hatched out as chicks.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Any breed can be "frizzled" It's just the degree to which it is frizzled. I have a chick running around whose mother is a bantam red/blk/blue (not sure what's in there) and who 's father is a big Cuckoo marans. The chick looks like the cuckoo pattern. Not sure if it's a pullet or roo, so won't know what color eggs it lays if it does at all.
    I do know that whatever the mother is, it's recessive cuz the same hen laid and egg that hatched a Delaware patterned chick. And within the same time span. So she was laying eggs fertilized by two roos. She 's a tramp but I love her.
    I suppose it would take some work to get a Frizzled marans that laid super dark egg though. I'm to old.

10. UGAchick

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Sounds like a fun project (I am relatively new to the chicken hobby)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by