frizzle not moving much

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
frizzle silkie(?) Maybe a little lighter and thinner than the rest...

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Doesn’t move. Will only move to eat. When she moves, she shuffles rather than walks, and doesn’t preen.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Not sure, I got it this way yesterday. I felt bad for it, and that’s why I brought it home. Its other brood-mates were all very lively.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

I thought it was because it couldn’t see, but I’ve cleared the feathers away from her eyes and she still doesn’t move around much. I’m wondering whether it’s weak muscles? she does have a decently strong grip when she’s in my hands, but most of the time she prefer to just flop there. her wings are kind of held out on the side too

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Water
24% chick starter

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I bathed her as she was covered in poop and other stuck food debris/litter

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Would like to treat her myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

See photos

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Small tote brooder with pine shavings.

Attachments

• 768ECC98-483E-4DC4-8191-1D6927972D99.jpeg
    768ECC98-483E-4DC4-8191-1D6927972D99.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 45DDFD9D-9A8F-4F28-90C7-DA8CA4076BCF.jpeg
    45DDFD9D-9A8F-4F28-90C7-DA8CA4076BCF.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 8
  • ECDAD3EE-7BDC-410C-946F-76185D9B9CC7.jpeg
    ECDAD3EE-7BDC-410C-946F-76185D9B9CC7.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 9
  • AED052C8-1418-4CC4-A56E-CABBCEBE59A7.jpeg
    AED052C8-1418-4CC4-A56E-CABBCEBE59A7.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 11
Doesn’t move. Will only move to eat. When she moves, she shuffles rather than walks, and doesn’t preen.
Not sure, I got it this way yesterday. I felt bad for it, and that’s why I brought it home.
most of the time she prefer to just flop there. her wings are kind of held out on the side too
I bathed her as she was covered in poop and other stuck food debris/litter

How is she doing?
In your other thread you bathed her since she was really dirty. Did you see evidence of lice or mites?
Can you get some photos of her poop?

It can be hard to know what's going on with her, it sounds like she was really weak when you got her. She may have a developmental/genetic problem, need a vitamin boost or she may have disease like Marek's.
I think I would try giving her poultry vitamins to see if that makes a difference. Poultry Cell would be a good choice since it has most of the b vitamins. Direct dose her at 1 cc per pound of weight once a day for 3-5 days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dirty-frizzle-5-6wo-how-do-i-clean-him-her.1417357/page-2

How is she doing?
In your other thread you bathed her since she was really dirty. Did you see evidence of lice or mites?
Can you get some photos of her poop?

It can be hard to know what's going on with her, it sounds like she was really weak when you got her. She may have a developmental/genetic problem, need a vitamin boost or she may have disease like Marek's.
I think I would try giving her poultry vitamins to see if that makes a difference. Poultry Cell would be a good choice since it has most of the b vitamins. Direct dose her at 1 cc per pound of weight once a day for 3-5 days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dirty-frizzle-5-6wo-how-do-i-clean-him-her.1417357/page-2
Thank you for the response! I forgot that I posted this thread...

So I think I figured out what the problem is. She can’t move her back toes on her right leg. That paired with the inability to see, was probably why she was reluctant to move much.

The good news is, she’s much more active today! This is her second day in the veggie garden, and I scattered some scratch and she’s very determined to get to them! She has also started preening which was a relief to see.

I did check her over when bathing her, and there doesn’t seem to be mites. I’m not sure about the intestinal parasite or disease part, but hopefully she doesn’t have something...

What I’m worried about is her constant soft chirping, I’m not sure how concerned I should be able it, but she never stops...

Also attaching a photo of the toe that can’t grip...her other feet is normal and gripping just fine

Attachments

• 5A234FC2-96ED-40CD-8C03-FCE91637DEE6.jpeg
    5A234FC2-96ED-40CD-8C03-FCE91637DEE6.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thank you for the response! I forgot that I posted this thread...

So I think I figured out what the problem is. She can’t move her back toes on her right leg. That paired with the inability to see, was probably why she was reluctant to move much.

The good news is, she’s much more active today! This is her second day in the veggie garden, and I scattered some scratch and she’s very determined to get to them! She has also started preening which was a relief to see.

I did check her over when bathing her, and there doesn’t seem to be mites. I’m not sure about the intestinal parasite or disease part, but hopefully she doesn’t have something...

What I’m worried about is her constant soft chirping, I’m not sure how concerned I should be able it, but she never stops...

Also attaching a photo of the toe that can’t grip...her other feet is normal and gripping just fine
I'm glad she's moving around more! That's progress.
I think you are doing what you can for her.
The chirping, I'm just not sure LOL Some chickens talk more than others, as she become more comfortable with her new surroundings that may lessen. It's almost like she's calling her sisters (or Mama Hen) like a young chick would do - you don't mention her age, so I wonder if she's calling Mama?

I'm glad she's moving around more! That's progress.
I think you are doing what you can for her.
The chirping, I'm just not sure LOL Some chickens talk more than others, as she become more comfortable with her new surroundings that may lessen. It's almost like she's calling her sisters (or Mama Hen) like a young chick would do - you don't mention her age, so I wonder if she's calling Mama?
I’ve discovered the source of her chirping! Desite there being food scattered around, she wanted her bowl of free choice :rolleyes: She quietened down once her crop was stuffed. She’s 6 weeks old. I hope to integrate them into my flock in a month or so...

Thanks for the help!

I’ve discovered the source of her chirping! Desite there being food scattered around, she wanted her bowl of free choice :rolleyes: She quietened down once her crop was stuffed. She’s 6 weeks old. I hope to integrate them into my flock in a month or so...

Thanks for the help!
:lol: Glad you figured it out LOL

Back
Top Bottom