Frizzle or Silkie?

Kareng

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 23, 2008
California
We picked these up at the feed store, the last two chicks there. He said they were frizzles, but they have dark feet and beaks, one buff, one gray. Are they silkies?

[url=https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10871_chicks_006.jpg]
10871_chicks_006.jpg
[/url]

I think they are silkies, because it looks like they do have beards on them. If they have 5 toes that would confirm it. Is the skin black? Silkies have black skin. In about 2 weeks you should be able to tell when the feathers start sprouting.
big_smile.png

Frizzle is a feather type and it's possable to get frizzles in almost any breed. I have Frizzled Silkies aka Frilkies, as well as Sizzles (Frizzled Cochan/Silkie crosses) My frizzle babies wing feathers are currling up as soon as they start to sprout them and not all the frizzles from a breeding curl but, they still carry the genetics for frizzled feathers. In fact, you don't want to breed a curly feathered bird to another curly feathered bird. You can end up with bald birds!
Your best way to tell if they are Silkie at that age is the 5 toes & black skin. If they don't have those they could still be crosses. Either way...they will be great fun to see what developes!
Best of luck
Sarah

Wow, now I'm really confused. I just checked and the buff has five (if you count the fifth weird little one), but the gray has four on one and four + a little one on the other! I haven't had chickens since I was a kid so i hope these aren't stupid questions.
We are happy no matter what they are! They're super cute.
Thanks for your great responses, much appreciated!
Karen

I got silkies from the feed store about 7-8 weeks ago all had 5 toes but one only had 4. I looked on the national silkie web page and any more or less than 5 toes is a DQ for show quality silkies. Other than that sorry I cant help.

It makes sense that they were left over then, with the funky toes. They are growing at a much slower rate than the other chicks (RIRs, Americaunas, Austrothorps and Barred rocks) but seem healthy.

Quite probably they are Silkie crosses at least. I don't know of any other breed with 5 toes. (but I've only been into chickens a few years & could well be wrong about other 5 toed breeds) If the feathers start to curl, they could be Sizzles, which they could be even if they don't curl since Sizzles come with smooth, curly & silky feathers. The Gray could end up a Splash. That's how mine start out, as a gray white. Anyway, it's great fun to guess and only time will give you more clues!
Best of Luck!
Sarah

I will let you all know and get some pics. Thanks for all of the info. The mystery just adds to the fun!
Karen

Back
Top Bottom