Frizzle pekin sexing

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
I have 9 frizzle pekin chicks about 3 months old and i'm wondering if their face colour corresponds with their sexes. For example 4 have dark/purple faces like their dad and they tend to fight with each other and 5 have red faces and show more hen like qualities then the dark faced ones. SO does face colour correspond with sex or is comb size the best way to sex them.

Thanks in advance

At 6 weeks old you can tell the cockerels from the hens by the larger, pinker combs and wattles on the boys - girls have next to none at that age. Both pullets and cockerels will spar with each other to sort out their pecking order. By 3 months old the girls will have just started growing their wattles and combs but theirs will still be smaller and pinker/paler than the cockerels.

These were our two Pekin girls at 3 months old:
Peep and Diamond.jpg

The second two do look to have silkie in them due to the longer head feathers behind their combs. How many toes do they have? Silkies have an extra toe which is often passed on to offspring in a silkie mix. It could be that the breeder just didn't know/realise what was in the genetics of their birds. You'd hope that was the case anyway.

The second two with the purplish faces are silkie Pekin crosses, I would say. The colour of that last one is so lovely. The first two look like frizzle pekins, but if you are sure they are all from the same parents, they must all be silkie Pekin crosses and some took on different traits from different sides. Silkie crosses can be unpredictable. Cochin is like the American version of a Pekin (actually different breeds but so similar the terms are sometimes used interchangeably).

they are frizzle pekin crosses i'm not sure if they have any silke in they but they might. heres some pics they first 2 are red faced and second 2 or the purple faced

Attachments

• 214.JPG
    214.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 215.JPG
    215.JPG
    498.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 216.JPG
    216.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 217.JPG
    217.JPG
    508.1 KB · Views: 26
I don't think the darker colour skin indicates male or female. If the skin doesn't turn red with maturity then you can still judge male or female by the size of the comb and wattles as well as behaviour. Also around three months sickle and hackle feathers should be developing in males.

Back
Top Bottom