1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lady Lavendar, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Lady Lavendar

Lady Lavendar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Houston
    I'm hoping the photo uploads correctly. If so, this is my new baby Frizzle. I'm concerned that he/she isn't feathering out like my other frizzle. I thought they were the same age. They are the same size but the white one is almost completely feathered. Could I be wrong about the age? Any idea if this is a male or female? How do you tell?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_lavendar/3410692063/

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    can't see pic.

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is your Frizzle? I was worried about my Sizzle not feathering, and other members said that their males were slower to feather than their females. Sure enough...my beautiful Fiona is now growing a large comb and wattles at 9 weeks old. Now he needs a new name [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. TXmom

Oh, and I can't see your pic either...when I click on it, it wants me to sign in or something, and I don't have an account.

Here's my "Fiona", or maybe "Phoenix?"...the pic is a couple weeks old, and now "his" comb and wattles are bigger.

[​IMG]

5. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Boys are slower maturing then girls.[​IMG]

6. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Got the pictures they are beautiful![​IMG]

7. Lady Lavendar

Mar 11, 2009
    Houston
    Ok.. I uploaded the photos onto BYC. Here they are. I got them both around three weeks ago. The white one was mostly feathered, the black one not so much. I was told they came from the same "batch". I assumed same age.... maybe not. They were straight run so... maybe the black really is a boy. Would be a good thing since I've made him or her Jeremy. I know that the black one is going to be black and a pretty gold/copper color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TXmom

My vote is that he's a slow-feathering boy. Not that my vote means much....I'm new to all this too. Wait a few more weeks and you'll be amazed at all the new feathers!

9. Lady Lavendar

Mar 11, 2009
    Houston
    I'm hoping that that is the case. I've read on here that if you breed Frizz to Frizz that they might not grow any feathers. This is what prompted my concern. How old are your Frizzles TXmom? Are they sweet? My white Frizz is an angel.. loves to be held. The black is a little stand offish but getting there. So far, they are larger than any of my other chicks with the exception of one Ameraucauna (also very sweet, funny too).

10. ChazsChikNCoop

ChazsChikNCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2009
    Michigan
    Yeah I say it's a roo, that could be why! Maybe why he's more stand offish than your other one as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by