Frizzle question??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SpeckledPullet, Dec 18, 2010.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    This "Cochin" hen is obviously a frizzle [​IMG] BUT her tail sticks up straight? Is this a frizzle thing or is she just that poor in quality? Not sure if it matters, but she is supposed to be less than a year old (probably coming up on a year soon).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited to add: this is my first frizzle hen. Previously, I have only had roos. Anyhow, I had always assumed the hens would have frizzled cushions ... not straight tail feathers?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    It is a frizzle thing. My frizzled Polish tails all do the same thing (with the exception of my roo)

3. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    GOOD! I was worried about keeping her for my breeding program ... but if this is normal she can stay [​IMG]

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    She is gorgeous BTW! And, how did you get her to stand still for pics?

5. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    she is a cutie

6. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Thank you!

Acid - she didn't stand still for long. I had to take the pics quick and she wasn't happy about it LOL.

7. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    A Cochin Frizzle's tail is not supposed to look like that. It is supposed to be round and full just like a smooth feathered bird. Check out my BYC page and look at some of the pics of birds on there for comparison. None the less she is VERY white and still a very pretty bird, and as long as you breed her to a smooth male with a nice round cushion you should be able to umprove on type with this bird.

~Casey

8. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Casey - loved the pics on your page.

Can you point me in the direction of any breeders that would sell hatching eggs? I cannot find anyone who's willing to sell their nice birds. I am going to have to hatch some out.

9. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:there are breeders willing to help, go to www.cochinsinternational.cochinsrule.com and check the forums, also, local poultry shows. ive never been to a show where there havent been SQ white cochins for sale in the sale room.

as far as that hen goes, she looks hatchery quality, doesnt posess the characteristics of a good frizzle cochin, if you are serious about breeding, you should A) not have to ask this question, you should study the standard of perfection of the breed you plan on breeding, the standard for a cochin can be found on cochinsinternational.com. and B) i know people say breed her to a SQ cock, but why do that when you can buy an SQ pair and get SQ young, yea, it may be a bit costly, but it is soo worth it as far as breeding goes it will save you years trying to acheive what has already been done.
    too bad we didnt get in contact in September, i had a nice flock of SQ whites, sold them all, though

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  10. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Quote:there are breeders willing to help, go to www.cochinsinternational.cochinsrule.com and check the forums, also, local poultry shows. ive never been to a show where there havent been SQ white cochins for sale in the sale room.

as far as that hen goes, she looks hatchery quality, doesnt posess the characteristics of a good frizzle cochin, if you are serious about breeding, you should A) not have to ask this question, you should study the standard of perfection of the breed you plan on breeding, the standard for a cochin can be found on cochinsinternational.com. and B) i know people say breed her to a SQ cock, but why do that when you can buy an SQ pair and get SQ young, yea, it may be a bit costly, but it is soo worth it as far as breeding goes it will save you years trying to acheive what has already been done.
    too bad we didnt get in contact in September, i had a nice flock of SQ whites, sold them all, though

Thank you, however I think asking questions is a great way to learn [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by