Frizzle? Sizzle? Cochin? Silkie? Can someone help with breeds and colors?

"NOTE: “Satin” is the proposed new name for Sizzles. The name has not been officially accepted by the ABA or APA but most people are already using it."

-California Country Ranch Poultry and Waterfowl - Sheri Minkner

As stated none are APA or ABA accepted as of now. So technically there is no right or wrong if a particular breeder wanted to call them one or the other. Or to refer to them as the same breed or separate. Its up to the individual breeder until the APA or ABA put it in print how its going to be.

Thank you both so much for all the info, @Gray Farms and @silkiekeeper - it's so helpful to newbies like me. So tell me if I'm understanding....
- I can call any of these except for 1, 4, and 11 "Frizzles" because this is simply a descriptor of a feather trait that can occur on any bird. These three are presumably heterozygous for frizzle as homozygous birds tend to suffer from a lot of feather damage, correct?

So I'm understanding the difference between a "sizzle" (Frizzled Silkie) and a Frizzled Satin, I believe, but I'm having trouble seeing the difference. @Gray Farms , you'd noted that "#3 looks to be a Sizzle, #2 looks to be a Frizzled Satin, #8 also a Frizzled Satin" but I'm sure your (more trained) eye sees something mine doesn't as they all look pretty similar to me at this point. Also, I need to check on their ages...

Here's some update pics on a few.

#1: Fluffy Whitish Pullet?
IMG_4170.jpg
IMG_4214.jpg

#10: Black & White Frizzle/Sizzle:
IMG_4215.jpg
IMG_4217.jpg
IMG_4237.jpg
IMG_4257.jpg

#11: Mostly White Very Friendly Fluffy:
IMG_4328.jpg

#4: Mottled:
IMG_4363.jpg
IMG_4412.jpg
IMG_4428.jpg

#7: Light with Dark Mohawk & Tips, Frizzley
IMG_4458.jpg

...and my sexing guesses at this point:
#1 - Pullet
#10 - Cockerel
#11 - Pullet
#4 - Cockerel
#7 - Cockerel

What types of feathering can be passed on by any of the birds in this post thusfar? My birds could have had a silkie parent (I believe some of them did, given what I saw at the breeder's house, what she told me, and the obvious other silkie traits showing up) and be carrying this feathering, but you need two copies of the gene for it to show up, correct? If bred with a silkie, I'd likely get some birds with silkie-type feathers, yes?

How old are they now? They look to all be Silkie/Cochin mixes of some type/percentage. Sizzle/Frizzle you have to look closely at the feathers. Silkied feathers lack the barbicels that hold each fiber of the feather together.

Here are my guesses (based upon what I've learned):
1. Smooth Satin
2. Unsure
3. Frizzled Satin
4. Smooth Satin
5. Unsure
6. Frizzled Satin
7. Unsure
8. Frizzled Satin
9. Unsure
10. Frizzled Satin
11. Unsure

The terms "sizzle" and "satin" are used interchangeably.

How old are they now?
So at the time the pics in the original post were taken, the breeder said they were mostly four to six weeks, with the biggest ones being eight to ten weeks. That puts them now mostly at 12-14 weeks with a few being 16-18 weeks.

I know that's vague...

Thank you @Gray Farms & @silkiekeeper for helping me understand!! I'll post more pictures as they grow. :)

Are these guys going to stay little? I know Silkies tend to be smaller. Don't know much about Cochins.

Here you can see some of these little guys with my EEs:

Here's an update on #1 the Fluffy Whitish Pullet. I don't know that she's really changed much at all, and I'm wondering if I'm wrong about her being a female and she's like a silkie (hard to sex). I want to name her "Princess," I think. Anyway... I'd love to know more about what color she is if anyone has any feedback here...

princess (6).jpg

princess (3).jpg

princess (2).jpg

princess (1).jpg

Attachments

• princess (4).jpg
    princess (4).jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 1
  • princess (5).jpg
    princess (5).jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 1

Back