Frizzle vs Red Cochin

Nicole_Hutchison

Songster
Feb 8, 2019
Fayetteville, AR
I know I have asked about this before…but still do not understand what I am doing wrong. Back in June 2021 I ordered a “frizzle” from a hatchery. The first picture is the “frizzle” at 4 months old which I have been told looks like a Red Cochin Bantam Cockerel. I ordered 2 more “frizzles” and received these chicks (pic 2 and 3) that also look like Red Cochin Bantams. The hatchery said these chicks still have the frizzle gene, but I thought a Red Cochin Bantam is not the same as a Frizzle? They are not one in the same, right? Experts…please educate me one more time! :)

Attachments

• EE566B9D-D4A2-4442-9A98-60BE129088DF.jpeg
    EE566B9D-D4A2-4442-9A98-60BE129088DF.jpeg
    793.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 742BD6B2-EA45-4B2D-B462-F0D85F002987.jpeg
    742BD6B2-EA45-4B2D-B462-F0D85F002987.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 0F8754B7-9594-424F-BB35-5823D1BC0DE6.jpeg
    0F8754B7-9594-424F-BB35-5823D1BC0DE6.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 20
Frizzle is just a feather type. The breed here is Bantam Cochin.

The first cockerel is smooth. The two chicks look smooth as well. The frizzle gene is not a hidden gene. If they have it, you will see it. Therefore the statement that those two chicks carry the frizzle gene, is false. Just for future reference, you should never breed two frizzled birds together.

Where did you get them from?

Frizzle is just a feather type. The breed here is Bantam Cochin.

The first cockerel is smooth. The two chicks look smooth as well. The frizzle gene is not a hidden gene. If they have it, you will see it. Therefore the statement that those two chicks carry the frizzle gene, is false. Just for future reference, you should never breed two frizzled birds together.

Where did you get them from?
Yep - definitely noted on not breeding 2 frizzles together. Heartland Hatchery. If I take this “frizzle” (which we know is a red Cochin) and breed him with let’s say a black Cochin I will not get a frizzled Cochin I will just get a Cochin. I am not missing something here, correct?

Frizzle is just the feather type. Most hatchery frizzles are bantam cochins. Don't get mad at the hatchery here. They could not have known if the chick was frizzled or not, as you won't know till they start feathering in.

When ordering frizzles form a hatchery there is only 50% chance you will get a frizzle.

Frizzles are heterozygous for the frizzle gene. So the only way to get 100% frizzles is to breed a frazzle with a smooth feathered bird. Which really isn't exactly a humane thing to do. As creating frazzles on purpose is cruel IMO, due to the vast amount of health problems they have.

If you read the description from the hatchery where you order the frizzles, it probablty mentions only 50% chance guarantee.

Thanks everyone! Heartland Hatchety is GREAT - I only buy from them and one other local contact. This was the only “odd” experience I have had over the past several years and what made it even more confusing is the comment that a red Cochin still has a frizzle gene and it’s offspring could be frizzled - I did not understand how that was possible. Now I know!

Yep - definitely noted on not breeding 2 frizzles together. Heartland Hatchery. If I take this “frizzle” (which we know is a red Cochin) and breed him with let’s say a black Cochin I will not get a frizzled Cochin I will just get a Cochin. I am not missing something here, correct?
Correct. One has to be visibly frizzled to produce 50% frizzled offspring.

Back
Top Bottom