Frogs?

Chickfever

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
Southwest VA
I'm sitting here playing with the kids when all of the sudden I hear a VERY loud commotion outside. I jump up and run out on my porch and instantly look for dogs (you see, there are 4 that run loose here and I'm terrified they might attack my chickens and/or chicks). I see the 4 normals in my neighbor's yard looking this way. I go around the corner of my house and see one of the most amusing sights I've seen in a few days. I see this object being thrown from chicken to chicken and the others are all screeching (as if saying "my turn, my turn"). They had a frog throwing it up in the air and were taking turns catching it (I guess). After about 10 mins of this, my dom roo took it, walked over to my pecked to death hen, dropped it and walked off..... I have NEVER seen something like that before. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Of course my hen took the frog and ran like the dickens with about 20 other chickens on her heels
smile.png

I had to laugh ...

But the part about the roo giving it to the pecked hen ... that is so sweet. I don't know if they normally do a thing like that, but I loved hearing about it! Thanks for sharing!

trish

Quote:
We had an old roo that died this summer from heat stroke. He always did things like that. He would give the hens bugs even leaves as gifts. He would also leave the feed bowl if the hens wanted in it. it was so sweet. Now our younger RIR roo he will call the hens when he finds something good but he wants his share first lol.

Quote:
That's so sweet that y'all's roos will do that! Nightshade---isn't that just like these newfangled-younger generation males?
gig.gif
They just aren't chivalrous!

Last edited:
I've seen one of my girls eat a frog. :eek:

My roo is in his own side of the chicken yard until my girls get just a little bit older. When he finds bugs or when I give him a treat he does his treat call. It's a very soft and sweet "bok bok bok bok bok bok" until the girls come running to the fence. Then he sits it in front of the first girl that come up and she eats it. Sometimes he'll pick out one girl and put it right in her mouth. So cute.

Back
Top Bottom