From chick crumbs to layers pellets !

John Chicken GB

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Great Britain
The two reccomended feeds for my chooks are chick crumbs ,from day old to 5 weeks and Layers pellets 5 weeks onwards . All my chicks from day old to five weeks , do very well on chick crumbs but getting them to favour the layers pellets is tough ! It seems that they would rather starve than eat pellets . Twice a day I throw some scratching corn down and they would rather wait for that than eat the pellets . Should I stand firm and not give any corn for a while and let them go hungry until the pellets have gone ??? The winter is on its way and I dont want to risk them losing weight or condition . ??? I keep weakening and adding chick crumbs to the pellets but that just defeats the object . They are all free range and have daily fresh veg ( spinache) and access to grit and fresh water . Am I missing something ?
roll.png

Who recomended that? They should not be on layer till they start laying or are about 18 weeks. Get those chicks back on chick feed - starter/grower immediately.

These "schedules" are printed on the bag or side of every Purina bag, for example. Website, Feed company websites, here on BYC tutorial an education pages too!!!

Options for 5 week old chickens include grower, starter, start 'n grow, All Flock, Flock Raiser, etc. But not layer. Layer feed is for Layers Something your chicks will not be doing for another three months.

Fred's Hens :

These "schedules" are printed on the bag or side of every Purina bag, for example. Website, Feed company websites, here on BYC tutorial an education pages too!!!

Options for 5 week old chickens include grower, starter, start 'n grow, All Flock, Flock Raiser, etc. But not layer. Layer feed is for Layers Something your chicks will not be doing for another three months.

Not so my friend . Here in the UK the two options offered by Scats , are the two that I mentioned . one leads on to the next as I explained . My question was how do you get the transition from crumbs to pellets be palletable to the birds . I am satisfied that the food content is correct for the ages ! But thanks anyway !​

Try moisten the pellets for a few days. Almost a mash and then slowly add less water. Some times this helps.
D.gif

Here in the United States, anything labeled as "layer" is for hens who are laying or at the age they are about to lay, around 18 weeks or so, though it may be different in Great Britain. Fred's Hens was correct, as was KDK1, but may not have noticed you were not in the U.S. so perhaps things are not labeled the same across the pond.
hmm.png

kidcody had a good suggestion for you for getting them to eat the new feed.

Quote:
I did indeed notice he was from GB. I just didn't realise thay have different standards than us. To me and my experience with chickens, 5Wk olds should still be on chick feed... not layer. Pellets, maybe... but not me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't calcium the same no matter where you live? If calcium is bad for growing chicks in the US isn't it equally bad for growing chicks in other countries?
hu.gif

as for switching, we just gave our 15 week olds some pelleted feed today (not layer, but multi flock) and they took right to it without any trouble. At 5 weeks they might not be as open to something new, maybe.

Quote:
Thank you for your reply and I apolagise for my sharp reaction, . The answer to your question ,:who recomended that: is Scats feed suplies . Please look at my downloads , if that is possible and there is a picture of the bag with instructions ! I have since done some more research and you are correct in advising a lower calcium loaded feed such as a grower pellet or mash !

Back
Top Bottom