From Exciting Garden Project to a Looming Disaster

Ugh I’m so sorry.

your yard and garden is beautiful and such a source of pleasure for you, I’m just really sad that this has happened.

do you have more information than a phone number? If not, when you see him next get his license plate number.

I feel for you here, because I am the same way, I’m the one people feel they can take advantage of because I want to be as nice as I can, and I’d prefer not to have conflict, even small ones. Sometimes that means I don’t stand up for myself, and, that’s when things can snowball if someone is the type to take advantage.

I would be prepared to cut my losses. We are getting close to spring and you need your beds! Do you have any proof that you paid him for supplies? If so, I would tell him that the supplies must be at your place or you are taking him to small claims. It may do nothing, but, it also could get your supplies back. if you can muster the strength to come off really firm you’ll send him to his friends/family to get money and get the supplies to you.

either way, I’d tell him the job is done. With someone you don’t know personally, I always buy the supplies and keep them here myself. You don’t get paid until the job is done, or weekly, or at set intervals that are agreed to when goals are met, and if you don’t like those terms you don’t get the job. It has taken Me several instances like this to learn this.

just so you can feel better and like you’re not as stupid as me, I’ll share a few of my favorites. :pop

I had an employee this year that I gave my credit card to to go to McCoy’s (building supply store) to get things. They set up an account under their name. WITH my card.

most (but not all) things they bought were for the ranch, but they certainly went to McCoy’s every day for a month and bought m&ms and drinks. I think sometimes I have sucker tattooed on my face.

I’ve also had an alcoholic that I gave far too many chances to squat in my barn. I couldn’t believe how much I did for this person, how many chances given, and then they wouldn’t leave and I had to evict them. You can bet I do everything with contracts now.

The answer is very simply, no. Mortar, that's it. :confused:

I would not let him touch one more thing.
I am pretty sure you do not want shifting beds.

I would get the materials from him and excuse him from anymore work.

It is far more costly to fix later than to fire him now.

Ugh I’m so sorry.

your yard and garden is beautiful and such a source of pleasure for you, I’m just really sad that this has happened.

do you have more information than a phone number? If not, when you see him next get his license plate number.

I feel for you here, because I am the same way, I’m the one people feel they can take advantage of because I want to be as nice as I can, and I’d prefer not to have conflict, even small ones. Sometimes that means I don’t stand up for myself, and, that’s when things can snowball if someone is the type to take advantage.

I would be prepared to cut my losses. We are getting close to spring and you need your beds! Do you have any proof that you paid him for supplies? If so, I would tell him that the supplies must be at your place or you are taking him to small claims. It may do nothing, but, it also could get your supplies back. if you can muster the strength to come off really firm you’ll send him to his friends/family to get money and get the supplies to you.

either way, I’d tell him the job is done. With someone you don’t know personally, I always buy the supplies and keep them here myself. You don’t get paid until the job is done, or weekly, or at set intervals that are agreed to when goals are met, and if you don’t like those terms you don’t get the job. It has taken Me several instances like this to learn this.

just so you can feel better and like you’re not as stupid as me, I’ll share a few of my favorites. :pop

I had an employee this year that I gave my credit card to to go to McCoy’s (building supply store) to get things. They set up an account under their name. WITH my card.

most (but not all) things they bought were for the ranch, but they certainly went to McCoy’s every day for a month and bought m&ms and drinks. I think sometimes I have sucker tattooed on my face.

I’ve also had an alcoholic that I gave far too many chances to squat in my barn. I couldn’t believe how much I did for this person, how many chances given, and then they wouldn’t leave and I had to evict them. You can bet I do everything with contracts now.

Thank you, :hugs you always make me feel better @jolenesdad! Unfortunately my non-confrontational nature has gotten me into plenty of similar situations, this certainly isn't the first, so I guess we have the same tattoo artist. lol

I would not let him touch one more thing.
I am pretty sure you do not want shifting beds.

I would get the materials from him and excuse him from anymore work.

It is far more costly to fix later than to fire him now.

Thank you, my primary focus is to get those blocks and concrete here. Even if he brings all of the materials, he's still making money. Cinder blocks and concrete aren't expensive and I knew I was primarily paying for labor but you're totally right and I've actually said those words to my husband, "I'm worried this will cost twice as much to have it torn out and replaced."

So I guess between me expressing that I was getting a bit impatient yesterday and trying to talk to him some more today he worked his record of 4.5 hours and "says" he'll be back tomorrow to work and will bring the materials. It looks good right now, just a matter of what's going to happen now that he has to cut a couple blocks for the corner. At least he's saying "cut" and not "break" now.

Now the trick will be getting him to bring all of the materials here as I requested because I would feel a lot better if I can see that's what he's spending my money on...

Fingers crossed! :fl Thank you for listening to my plight today. It really really helps to be able to talk it out with someone.

View attachment 2024811View attachment 2024814
Wow! This is actually quite a turn around! I hope it continues to move in a positive directions. The original was beautiful and when complete the new beds will be lovely as well.

I was hoping you would be closer. At this point I would advice you to get the materials on your site even if you have to borrow the truck and trailer to get them there. Then tell him the rebar must be used and must be put in with the proper epoxy or stop all work and refund the balance of labor costs (yeah I know but worth a try) because you want the job done properly and to last. In the south where there isn't a frost line and drainage is usually better pea gravel isn't normally used under footers. I believe without doing the epoxy it will just be a matter of when the wall fails rather than if it fails. Here are a couple links to the type epoxy that should be used it can be bought from multiple sources including Amazon and Walmart
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...ll&gclid=CMzKzvjr0-cCFZicxQIdK50M4A&gclsrc=dsor
https://www.fastenersplus.com/Stron...s&utm_term=4579672088370696&utm_content=ET-HPGood luck and keep us informed how it's going.

Good morning! I promised to keep all of you wonderful people updated and I have to admit it has made me feel a billion times better talking through this headache, being offered so much support, and knowing I'm not alone in my overly gentle approach to this, lol.

The goal today is to get the materials here. It's not supposed to rain today but we have a lot of projected rain this week and next week so I think it's unlikely that much, if anything, will be completed on the days in between rain. So even though there are a couple dry days, I don't have my hopes up, but if he really comes through and brings all of the materials today I'll feel so much better. Fingers crossed! :fl

IMG_20200217_082207.jpg

There’s always small claims court.

True, and in moments of aggravation it has definitely crossed my mind but I'm not there yet. He knows I'm really anxious at this point and "seems" to really be eager to make it right. He hasn't gone silent or disappeared with my money, so I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's just really disorganized.

Back
Top Bottom