From Exciting Garden Project to a Looming Disaster

Pics

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
This is going to be a really long post, but I desperately need opinions! My husband originally built my gorgeous raised bed garden for me but I insisted on untreated wood and we ended up with termites and had to tear it out. My husband's health isn't what it used to be so I finally bit the bullet at hired someone to install the same garden beds, but with cinder block.

I printed a very detailed blueprint for this guy and everything. Well it would be a NOVEL for me to share every little thing that has gone haywire, excuses, poor communication, not showing up, using my stuff without asking (and ruining it, almost $200 worth that I didn't even complain about), asking for more money overall because he "miscalculated on materials" so I subtracted an entire bed and said I would still pay him the same amount for 3 beds as he quoted me for 4 because I'm too nice, then he needed an advance on top of the deposit I has already given him.

...well in all of this headache I've gotten so many excuses as to why he doesn't show, etc, etc...I've been dealing with this for a MONTH and he has been here a total of 6 days and is usually only here for 2-3 hours each time. To top it off, he finally put down the first blocks on the footer, 12 blocks to be exact...and I actually had to go out there about point out to him that there is a top and bottom to the blocks, some were upsidedown. I didn't even tell him to undo it, it's not going to hurt anything because it's just a garden bed but he's CLEARLY not experienced in this as he would have liked me to believe.

I'm not a professional block layer but I managed in the installed sales office of a building materials store for about 7 years and my husband did it for a living when he was young, so I know what I'm looking at and I know how this is supposed to work...I'm mildly terrified of what I'm going to end up with when all is said and done. Not to mention how long it's going to take...

What do I do? He has half of the money now because on top of giving him the deposit he needed an advance for materials that I also gave him but it certainly hasn't expedited anything! I'm worried I'm going to end up with a huge inexperienced mess when all is said and done and he has only started on the two front beds which SHOULD be the easy ones! The back bed it the difficult design and I'm starting to think he isn't capable of doing it even though he kept saying, "We can do this, no problem."

😭 He's seems like a nice kid, minus the excuses and not showing, but this is giving me so much anxiety and it's really expensive! He charged me like a professional, but he's not one!

I do realize that construction sites will be messy, we constantly have some kind of projects going on, that isn't my gripe. I do feel like I should have more than 2 footers (that aren't even built properly or to specs) and 12 blocks laid after a month of dealing with this.

2-3-20 before - now2.jpg
2-11-20 (1).JPG

I'm sorry your going through this sad to say it happens a lot. I hope you don't mind me asking some questions and making some recommendations. Let me say now I'm sorry this post is going to be so long and I'm not a block mason and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night lol but I do have some construction experience.
The first thing I would say as others have please don't give him anymore money until he finishes the job if he gives you a sad story about needing more money remember if he has truly paid for all the materials all the rest is money for labor and you want to make sure you hold enough of that to make sure it's worth his time to finish the job completely to get it.
I see he poured footers how deep are they and why are they so wide. Did he put any rebar in the footers? Did he mix the concrete in a wheelbarrow or did a cement truck come in? Because it's going to be filled with dirt which will try to push out on the walls it really should have rebar in the footer and then have vertical rebar tied into the corners and every so often in the lateral sections and once the blocks are up but before the cap is put on should be filled with concrete then the cap be put on. There used to be and may very well still be an epoxy made that people used to fasten anchor bolts into a slab that didn't have any when building wooden walls it was also a method that met southern building code so you know it held well. What I would suggest is that before he lays anymore block get some rebar and epoxy and drill into the footer 4-5" and use the epoxy to glue the rebar in. As for the sections that are already up you hopefully could get a long extension for the bit and drill there as well. Basically what that whole procedure does is tie the two rows of blocks together and with securing it into the footer ties that into the blocks as well. With the dirt inside pushing out it would force it to move both rows of blocks and the footer instead of being able to just push the top row out. I would do the corners in both directions and every 4-6' on the laterals. If you wanted you could leave the rebar an inch or two above the level of the two blocks and drill a hole on the underside of the cap block which would also tie that in and stop it from being able to be forced out of course your dirt may not go that high.
In post #7 the second picture you posted on the left side it looks as if the wall has a bow out then back in please tell me that it's the angle the picture was taken or that I'm seeing things and that the wall is straight.
I see your in Georgia but it's a big state lol I'm about 15-20 miles south of Bainbridge how far is it from Bainbridge to your house? The reason I ask is that I have three pickup trucks and three different trailers so if his truck isn't running and it's not to far from me I could bring a truck and trailer if needed up and he could load materials on it and I could drive it to your house where he could unload it and that way we would know that you at least have all the materials and won't be out them. Now having just said that let me also say no I'm not trying to make money and don't want any I'm just thinking maybe I can take a little stress off you. I have to go several places in GA in the very near future and maybe I'll be passing through your area.
I certainly wish you the best in this situation and know how hard it is to get competent people to do a job like somebody else said a lot of the time they don't even show up to give an estimate. I've got some construction experience

The guy is playing you. People do this all the time... it's a sad, sad story. Kind and loving people like you get taken advantage of and taken to the cleaner's. It gives real workmen who give a darn a bad name. Please cut your losses and no matter what story he tells you next, do not give him a nickel. Seriously. Just don't. People lie.

You probably don't and can't imagine anyone telling such lies, but they do--straight to your face and with detail and color and feeling. People (some of them) will literally tell you whatever lie it takes to get what they want. The kind of lies they tell are calculated to make you feel like a heel for even thinking of doubting them. "What if it's true?" you think. "It would be so wrong not to be understanding, not to help."

It is not true. Do the compassionate thing for the next victim and sue this guy. If it's at all possible press charges against him for fraud. If you make this person pay a price for his shameful use of two kind and loving people, you will be doing good for him and not evil. You will be contributing to turning him off the ill path he is following--or at the least you won't be encouraging him to continue following it. Seriously, pull the plug and do what you can to recover your money. I'm not holding my breath on that one, but at least, please, don't give him any more.

I'm sorry that your still going through this but again my advice would be to stop him from doing anything more than getting the rest of the materials to your house.
I know you have a big very kind heart and want to believe he will change and do a good job and everything will work out. It won't think about it he has not done one thing correctly.
The footer was/is not done correctly. Can this be fixed? Not really you can't go back and put the rod chairs and rebar in nor correct the size it will always hang out on the outside and inside. Could you epoxy rebar in vertically and fill some of the block cells to strengthen it yes and that would help but would cost more in materials and labor.
The blocks were/are not being laid correctly. Can this be fixed? Not really you can't go back and make the walls straight nor can you go back and correct the blocks in that corner. Can you apply stucco and try to hide the miss laid and miss cut blocks yes but it would cost more in materials and labor.
The materials you paid for that should be at your house are not. Can this be fixed? Of course if he bought or buys them but he hasn't for some reason.
He hasn't/doesn't show up except when he wants to and may or may not give an excuse as to why.
He doesn't listen when you make suggestions or ask for things to be done correctly.
Either he doesn't know how to do the job correctly or doesn't want to take the time and effort to do it correctly but the bottom line is it hasn't been nor will it be done correctly by this guy. As I stated before I believe the walls will fail at some point if left the way they are and the planter is filled with soil and used as intended.
So the longer you let this guy continue the more it's going to cost you to fix his mistakes and at some point somebody is going to charge you a lot more when they have to rip out and haul off everything and start over..
Again I'm sorry this post is so long and I won't bother you with my thoughts after this one seems I'm basically saying the same thing over and over guess it sounds like a broken record lol

So this guy is like an independent handyman sort of fellow then? He doesn't work for or own a company or anything?

If this is the case, in your situation I would try having a sit down/serious talk with the guy first. Have everything that you're going to say planned out in advance and don't let him interrupt or bully you. (I myself am tend to be too nice to people and get walked over, so I have some experience with this sort of thing unfortunately.)

Say something like, "Dave, I'm not feeling very good about how the project is going. I know that you've been having some trouble getting here, but I really feel like things should be further along by now. I'd like to set up some deadlines and expectations.....etc." If he's not amenable to this approach I'd consider cutting your losses and look for somebody more professional to finish the job.

Also, definitely don't give him any additional advances. My landlord had a guy this summer that did some painting for him. He kept asking for advances and then wouldn't show up for several days, turned out he was spending his advances on getting high.

Anyway, good luck! I hope you manage to get your beds done to your satisfaction.

Ugh I’m so sorry.

your yard and garden is beautiful and such a source of pleasure for you, I’m just really sad that this has happened.

do you have more information than a phone number? If not, when you see him next get his license plate number.

I feel for you here, because I am the same way, I’m the one people feel they can take advantage of because I want to be as nice as I can, and I’d prefer not to have conflict, even small ones. Sometimes that means I don’t stand up for myself, and, that’s when things can snowball if someone is the type to take advantage.

I would be prepared to cut my losses. We are getting close to spring and you need your beds! Do you have any proof that you paid him for supplies? If so, I would tell him that the supplies must be at your place or you are taking him to small claims. It may do nothing, but, it also could get your supplies back. if you can muster the strength to come off really firm you’ll send him to his friends/family to get money and get the supplies to you.

either way, I’d tell him the job is done. With someone you don’t know personally, I always buy the supplies and keep them here myself. You don’t get paid until the job is done, or weekly, or at set intervals that are agreed to when goals are met, and if you don’t like those terms you don’t get the job. It has taken Me several instances like this to learn this.

just so you can feel better and like you’re not as stupid as me, I’ll share a few of my favorites. :pop

I had an employee this year that I gave my credit card to to go to McCoy’s (building supply store) to get things. They set up an account under their name. WITH my card.

most (but not all) things they bought were for the ranch, but they certainly went to McCoy’s every day for a month and bought m&ms and drinks. I think sometimes I have sucker tattooed on my face.

I’ve also had an alcoholic that I gave far too many chances to squat in my barn. I couldn’t believe how much I did for this person, how many chances given, and then they wouldn’t leave and I had to evict them. You can bet I do everything with contracts now.

I was hoping you would be closer. At this point I would advice you to get the materials on your site even if you have to borrow the truck and trailer to get them there. Then tell him the rebar must be used and must be put in with the proper epoxy or stop all work and refund the balance of labor costs (yeah I know but worth a try) because you want the job done properly and to last. In the south where there isn't a frost line and drainage is usually better pea gravel isn't normally used under footers. I believe without doing the epoxy it will just be a matter of when the wall fails rather than if it fails. Here are a couple links to the type epoxy that should be used it can be bought from multiple sources including Amazon and Walmart
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...ll&gclid=CMzKzvjr0-cCFZicxQIdK50M4A&gclsrc=dsor
https://www.fastenersplus.com/Stron...s&utm_term=4579672088370696&utm_content=ET-HPGood luck and keep us informed how it's going.

Howdy. Stopping by to check on the situation. Oh dear.... I'm sorry to see things haven't really turned around.

Those "corners" ☹

I have to say, I have zero experience doing that sort of thing but a quick youtube search makes me feel pretty confident that I could do better than this guy. Probably not alot better, but better.

Honestly, if I was in your place, after seeing those "corners" I'd be telling him to hit the bricks (pun intended).

Hugs and good luck whatever you decide to do.

Back
Top Bottom