From Exciting Garden Project to a Looming Disaster

Pics
It's not just you here's a couple for you
I owned a business for many years and as part of that set appointments with customers at their house. I'm one of those people that always has to arrive 10-15 minutes early to everything so I usually would sit out in my truck in front of their house until the appointed time. You would be surprised at how many times I heard "wow you actually showed up and on time we called other companies for estimates and they didn't show up some called with excuses and others we haven't heard a word from" I'm not sure what the deal was with those companies but it certainly helped mine lol.
We moved into our present home in 2014 and I told my wife when things settled down a little and I got some of the other more important farm projects done I'd build her a covered deck/ porch what ever you want to call it. Well of course the health problems started in 2015 with more knee problems and surgery and every year since it's been something with multiple hospital stays and surgeries. With all this going on she suggested we hire it done and I kept protesting telling her they wouldn't build it the way I would they call things "good enough" instead of right and that drives me nuts. You know like square is square and good enough isn't square or level is level close enough isn't level that sort of thing. I finally agreed that with my health it would be better to hire it done so I called three licensed contractors and guess what not one of them even showed up for the first appointment and none of them bothered to even call back. Needless to say I with help of a brother in law and a neighbor built her a 12x46 covered porch/deck that she loves. I also helped the neighbor to correct some things on his deck and put a roof over it. I have helped my sister and brother in law with lots of projects in the past has she has some planned for us in the future as well.
So it's not just you or just your area it's everywhere. When I had the business we lived a couple hundred miles from where we live now so it's not just one area here either.
I'm sure your husband will do a much better job then that clown you hired and at the rate that guy was working it probably won't take much longer. Hopefully he can find some help to make it a little easier on him. We have several other building projects planned and I know better than to even waste my time trying to get somebody to do them.

lol, My Husband and I had the same conversation about how "level" or "close enough" the project was. Some of it is visibly out of level and some walls aren't even straight. He didn't even need to bring out a level to check it. I think the hardest part in all of this for my husband is that he wants to rip the whole thing out and start over and I would rather he just reinforce it and move on, lol...we'll see who wins this debate. :lau

Back
Top Bottom