From Exciting Garden Project to a Looming Disaster

You can all yell at me if you want to. You've all been so kind to talk me through this and I felt you deserve an update. lol, Just, be easy on me, I know I'm doing this to myself at this point. :lau :oops:

So in a nutshell, his wife is pregnant and had some emergency complications...I'm not heartless. If anything my heart is two sizes too big and it's running the show over my common sense. So there were delays due to that and then there was rain after that, then he finally started to come again. My husband said to just wait and see what he does with the two smaller beds and we can make our decisions from there. My Husband has taken to a bit of humor over the experience at this point, which I'm not sure if I'm grateful for or not. lol

The two days the landscaper came most recently I was really busy and I wasn't home to watch him. More than anything we've really been questioning what he is going to do at the corners because from everything I've seen...I don't think he knows how to miter a block. Well, my concerns were confirmed today when I got home, the guy was already gone but what is this??? Ummm, that is not going to hold dirt, lol. He started putting blocks down on the other small bed too...so does he think he's done???

These are the two "corners" and that's the brand new tarp I bought to cover the concrete he didn't bring.

2-24-20 (1).JPG
2-24-20 (2).JPG

So my current plan...I'm officially passing this to my husband to walk the landscaper through how to fix it step by step because I feel like only some of what I'm explaining is getting through to him. My husband said it's still salvageable, even though it's nothing like the design. If the landscaper isn't willing to fix it, then I will be firing him, asking for some of my money back, but most likely cutting my losses at this point.

I still promise to share the pleasant images of the completed project once it's done! Though it will never be what the blueprint shows again, I still think we can salvage it and make it look nice again. :D Fingers crossed!!

Is it bad that I still want the landscaper to turn around and do this properly? I want so bad for this to go better so I don't have to fire him... :oops:

Aw. I don't think you deserve to be yelled at. You're a very kindhearted person and understanding as well it seems. And I feel sorry for the guy, that his wife has complications and such (truly, our daughter was born 3 months premature so I do get that), but unfortunately - all of those issues (weather, wife, etc.) don't change the fact that he's clearly incapable of delivering on what he promised.

Buuuut..... you can take it on the chin and just let it be a funny story (providing he continues to return) or you can take him to court. Personally, as long as he's not getting any more money, I would probably choose to let it be a funny story. Then again, you're paying a LOT of money for what (to you) may be an unbearable eyesore in the end. It's quite a conundrum and I don't envy the position you're in.

The guy is playing you. People do this all the time... it's a sad, sad story. Kind and loving people like you get taken advantage of and taken to the cleaner's. It gives real workmen who give a darn a bad name. Please cut your losses and no matter what story he tells you next, do not give him a nickel. Seriously. Just don't. People lie.

You probably don't and can't imagine anyone telling such lies, but they do--straight to your face and with detail and color and feeling. People (some of them) will literally tell you whatever lie it takes to get what they want. The kind of lies they tell are calculated to make you feel like a heel for even thinking of doubting them. "What if it's true?" you think. "It would be so wrong not to be understanding, not to help."

It is not true. Do the compassionate thing for the next victim and sue this guy. If it's at all possible press charges against him for fraud. If you make this person pay a price for his shameful use of two kind and loving people, you will be doing good for him and not evil. You will be contributing to turning him off the ill path he is following--or at the least you won't be encouraging him to continue following it. Seriously, pull the plug and do what you can to recover your money. I'm not holding my breath on that one, but at least, please, don't give him any more.

Howdy. Stopping by to check on the situation. Oh dear.... I'm sorry to see things haven't really turned around.

Those "corners" ☹

I have to say, I have zero experience doing that sort of thing but a quick youtube search makes me feel pretty confident that I could do better than this guy. Probably not alot better, but better.

Honestly, if I was in your place, after seeing those "corners" I'd be telling him to hit the bricks (pun intended).

Hugs and good luck whatever you decide to do.

I'm sorry that your still going through this but again my advice would be to stop him from doing anything more than getting the rest of the materials to your house.
I know you have a big very kind heart and want to believe he will change and do a good job and everything will work out. It won't think about it he has not done one thing correctly.
The footer was/is not done correctly. Can this be fixed? Not really you can't go back and put the rod chairs and rebar in nor correct the size it will always hang out on the outside and inside. Could you epoxy rebar in vertically and fill some of the block cells to strengthen it yes and that would help but would cost more in materials and labor.
The blocks were/are not being laid correctly. Can this be fixed? Not really you can't go back and make the walls straight nor can you go back and correct the blocks in that corner. Can you apply stucco and try to hide the miss laid and miss cut blocks yes but it would cost more in materials and labor.
The materials you paid for that should be at your house are not. Can this be fixed? Of course if he bought or buys them but he hasn't for some reason.
He hasn't/doesn't show up except when he wants to and may or may not give an excuse as to why.
He doesn't listen when you make suggestions or ask for things to be done correctly.
Either he doesn't know how to do the job correctly or doesn't want to take the time and effort to do it correctly but the bottom line is it hasn't been nor will it be done correctly by this guy. As I stated before I believe the walls will fail at some point if left the way they are and the planter is filled with soil and used as intended.
So the longer you let this guy continue the more it's going to cost you to fix his mistakes and at some point somebody is going to charge you a lot more when they have to rip out and haul off everything and start over..
Again I'm sorry this post is so long and I won't bother you with my thoughts after this one seems I'm basically saying the same thing over and over guess it sounds like a broken record lol

I'm sorry that your still going through this but again my advice would be to stop him from doing anything more than getting the rest of the materials to your house.
I know you have a big very kind heart and want to believe he will change and do a good job and everything will work out. It won't think about it he has not done one thing correctly.
The footer was/is not done correctly. Can this be fixed? Not really you can't go back and put the rod chairs and rebar in nor correct the size it will always hang out on the outside and inside. Could you epoxy rebar in vertically and fill some of the block cells to strengthen it yes and that would help but would cost more in materials and labor.
The blocks were/are not being laid correctly. Can this be fixed? Not really you can't go back and make the walls straight nor can you go back and correct the blocks in that corner. Can you apply stucco and try to hide the miss laid and miss cut blocks yes but it would cost more in materials and labor.
The materials you paid for that should be at your house are not. Can this be fixed? Of course if he bought or buys them but he hasn't for some reason.
He hasn't/doesn't show up except when he wants to and may or may not give an excuse as to why.
He doesn't listen when you make suggestions or ask for things to be done correctly.
Either he doesn't know how to do the job correctly or doesn't want to take the time and effort to do it correctly but the bottom line is it hasn't been nor will it be done correctly by this guy. As I stated before I believe the walls will fail at some point if left the way they are and the planter is filled with soil and used as intended.
So the longer you let this guy continue the more it's going to cost you to fix his mistakes and at some point somebody is going to charge you a lot more when they have to rip out and haul off everything and start over..
Again I'm sorry this post is so long and I won't bother you with my thoughts after this one seems I'm basically saying the same thing over and over guess it sounds like a broken record lol

I 100% agree. It is sad but in reality this guy is taking advantage of kind people. The longer it goes on the more damage is done.

If you fire this guy it doesn’t make you a mean heartless person. That person may be trying to get started in this business but without any experience. People do such things out of desperation or greed. If it’s greed he needs to be fired! If it’s desperation you need to do him a kindness by firing him and let him redirect his life knowing this isn’t his bag. It’s called tough love.

Wow, those corners are really something. Sorry you are going through all of this and getting what seems to be every excuse in the book. It sounds like tough love is what is needed because clearly this worker is not good at the job he is doing. You've been understanding about the situation and the weather and he is playing you for that. I would cut my ties with him and find an alternative to get this job finished correctly! Good luck!

Thank you everyone! Over the past few days I have expressed my displeasure to him...in a lot of words, lol. I have repeatedly over the past weeks told him I want all of my materials on the property. I have more here than I did before but it's looking less and less likely. He was supposed to be here today and is again a no-show so it will be interesting to see what he has to say for himself this time.

Fortunately my husband can do it with the help of a friend but we have to be careful because his health isn't what it used to be. Worst case I will attempt to hire someone else to fix it and finish it.

Who would have thought a fun gardening project could end up such a huge disaster!

Back
Top Bottom