From Exciting Garden Project to a Looming Disaster

Alas, this is why builders have such a bad rep. My dad was one. We always had more jobs than we could accept because there were so darned few honest and competent builders out there. And that was in the '50s-'90s. It's obviously worse now. Everyone's got a building horror story who's ever hired anything built. Seems that every ne'er-do-well out there thinks he can build what you want.

You need to hire a truck and round up a few friends to help move stuff and go to his place and help him load your materials (if he ever actually bought them) onto the truck. Then write him off. I guarantee you there's no point suing him--blood from a turnip... not gonna happen. Don't do it again. This is one excellent reason to get a loan for a major project, like a house. The bank pays the draws when the specified work has been completed and inspected, not before, no matter how many lies the "builder" might tell them.

I used to manage multiple contractors, so you would think I wouldn't be such a pansy, lol. I think the difference is that this time I'm paying someone to do the work for me, rather than being paid to keep people in line...there shouldn't be a difference but I'm a total softy at home and I quit that job because I didn't like being the bad guy. :lau

Anyway, thank you again! I think I just needed to know that I'm not exaggerating and this really is something that needs to be handled.

Sure thing! I understand about work vs. private personality stuff. I work in a retail pharmacy and spend most of my day dealing with patients in person and on the phone, some of them quite unpleasant at times. In my private life I avoid confrontation and almost never answer a phone unless I know who it is.

Good luck. Who knows? Maybe if you approach him kindly but firmly he'll fess up to his exaggerations and you can start over on better footing.

The answer is very simply, no. Mortar, that's it. :confused:

I would not let him touch one more thing.
I am pretty sure you do not want shifting beds.

I would get the materials from him and excuse him from anymore work.

It is far more costly to fix later than to fire him now.

Good morning! I promised to keep all of you wonderful people updated and I have to admit it has made me feel a billion times better talking through this headache, being offered so much support, and knowing I'm not alone in my overly gentle approach to this, lol.

The goal today is to get the materials here. It's not supposed to rain today but we have a lot of projected rain this week and next week so I think it's unlikely that much, if anything, will be completed on the days in between rain. So even though there are a couple dry days, I don't have my hopes up, but if he really comes through and brings all of the materials today I'll feel so much better. Fingers crossed! :fl

IMG_20200217_082207.jpg

Did you fire him?

Sort of, I will be. I told him I don't want him doing any more work and that he needs to bring the rest of my materials or give me the money back. I've said it before and he showed up with what is here now and put in those corners. It happened when I wasn't home. My gate it now locked and he won't be entering without me being home and it's only if he's bringing my materials.

Ugh just wanted to say sorry this has been a nightmare for you. I'm sure the end results will look great, but what a miserable process this has been. Your hubby's original beds did look great btw... and I too would've used untreated wood, but we don't have termites to deal with...

Definitely document everything with time and date and photos and get receipts for the materials. Also what does your written contract say about advances? Seems to me he should be looking to collect once he's done since you had an agreement on what you'd pay, and he's nowhere close to being done.

I have to admit this is why I when I have a project, I usually go for bigger companies that have multiple people available to get work done. Like we had the roof replaced... it was supposed to take 3 days to install. When the company saw rain got moved up in the forecast, they sent out more guys in order to finish. What started off with 3 guys turned into 12 and they completed the remaining 2/3rds of the roof in a single afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom