From first peep to pip?? (UPDATED WITH HATCH NEWS!!!!!)

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
My husband is worried our chicks are going to suffocate. We have 2 blue laced red wyandottes that were due to hatch yesterday (they are 22 days now). One started peeping a couple hours ago. Is it normal for some time to pass till they break thru the shell? It's obviously still breathing cause it keeps peeping from time to time.

Also, the air cell in the other one is really weird looking but I did see the egg move earlier today. It's at the fat end of the egg, nd also along one side with some sharp angles. I'd take a picture but don't wnt to disturb the egg. I have a turkey egg incubating that has a similar weird air cell but the poult is nice & active.

Last edited:
Just wishing someone, anyone, would answer before I go to bed. I'm worried they'll die overnight. Still no sign of pipping. Peeping started hours ago.
sad.png

Patience, grasshopper. 22 days is off, but if the temp was down just a bit, it would have slowed everything down.
Just watch them. As long as it's peeping, you have a chance of another day (or 2).

So it's not going to run out of air by a certain time? I'm trying to google it...one spot says 6 hours only, others say 1-2 days of peeping isn't unheard of. (and thank you for the reply & reassurance)

I honestly can't see it suffocating, the shell is porous. I know you will be like everyone else here, and get up every hour tonite to check it.
If you peep to it, it may give it a little encouragement to hurry up.
Try it, see what happens.
Peep, peep! If it starts peeping back to you, and starts rocking, it should be coming soon....

(S)he's here!!! At 1:30 am I saw the pip'd shell. at 4:30 that had gotten bigger. When we all got up at 6:55 it was almost completely OUT....she's looking good! Sister egg...no indicaations of haatching. It's now day 23. So glad I left the lid closed, stood back, and didn't help it out. THANKS for all the encouragement everyone!!

YAY! If you want, hold the guilty egg up to your ear, you can tell they are alive, some make gurgling sounds, or just something...
If you really have to, you can poke a hole in the big end, into the air sac. You should be able to see something, but ONLY do if after you have given up hope, I don't want to be accused of killing your baby.
Good luck!

I posted an a update. After not hearing or seeing a darned thing I made a hole into the air sack, continued and could tell she was stillborn. Her membrane was thick and dry too. I hatched her all the way. She had a misshapen head & beak, wide set legs, and gastrochsisis (intestines growing externally). Poor boo. I'm glad to know "why" she didn't make it though.
sad.png

5 turkey eggs, 12 Indian Runners, 7 bantams, and 5 lemon/blue spalshes...turkeys are due to hatch Nov 3rd.

Now what to do with a lone peep.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom