From Florida

doughty86

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
I grew up on a small farm with my grandparents in the north but now I live in the south. My family and I are wanting to start providing for our family from our own land, I loved it as a kid and I think itll be good for my 4 kids. I was wondering if yall could help me choose which kind of chickens would be best for my family. We have 6 people in our house and we all love eggs and we love to eat chicken lol. So any help and advise would be greatly appreciated. I have the basics down but I still have a long ways to go.

So any one have any idea what kind of birds in Florida would be good for laying eggs and eating?

Thanks for all your help.

I grew up on a small farm with my grandparents in the north but now I live in the south. My family and I are wanting to start providing for our family from our own land, I loved it as a kid and I think itll be good for my 4 kids. I was wondering if yall could help me choose which kind of chickens would be best for my family. We have 6 people in our house and we all love eggs and we love to eat chicken lol. So any help and advise would be greatly appreciated. I have the basics down but I still have a long ways to go.

So any one have any idea what kind of birds in Florida would be good for laying eggs and eating?

Thanks for all your help.
welcome-byc.gif
If you want a lot of eggs, get White Leghorns, Black Sex-links, or Red Sex-links (also known as Red Stars). If you want meat, raise some Cornish X broilers. But if you want a little of both, I'd raise a dual-purpose breed. Some choices include Wyandottes, Delawares, Rhode Island Reds, Sussex, Orpingtons, Australorps, and New Hampshire Reds. A dual-purpose chicken won't grow as fast or produce as much meat as efficiently as a meat-type chicken, nor will it lay as many eggs as an egg-type chicken; it will be somewhere in between.

welcome-byc.gif
you could also go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forums so you can locate and post on your state thread. People living in your area could suggest what breeds do best there and share their experiences with layers and meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom