from Maple Valley, WA- looking for Welsummer~Barnevelder~Lavender Orps~Wheaten Maran~speckled Sussex

RainMom

Songster
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Hobart, WA
HI there!

I've got a small chicken set up on a couple acres, and have been enjoying eggs from our hens this past year. I really like our barred rock and buff orpington for the nice large eggs, and because they are so docile. (My americauna is very stand-offish, and she took a 2 month long break from laying- stopped laying eggs from Thanksgiving until she finally laid a blue egg yesterday!) .
I've got a white hen that is supposed to be leghorn, but must be mixed because it lays brown eggs
idunno.gif
. We've also got a silver-laced Wyandotte that had a near-death experience and sported one single tail feather until just recently. My rooster was supposed to be a hen, but he's a easter-egger mix, black with a brilliant green sheen, and brown neck feathers like the americauna hen. Besdies being a mutt, he's not the best rooster, and can't keep track of all the ladies when they are free-ranging. (Sadly, that means he needs to be replaced, because we've got owls, eagles, and hawks galore out here, as well as foxes, bears, and coyotes.)

I have really enjoyed raising chickens, and now I have a waiting list for eggs. So, looks like I need to increase my flock.

I was considering ordering chickens from Murray McMurray, or getting from my feed store (they order from Privett) , but was hoping there was some other local WA state- South or East King County area folks who might have some? I'm trying to diversify my flock for entertainment as well as egg color. My list of "wants" is long and ambitious
jumpy.gif
I'm looking for some polish and -silkies- mostly for entertainment for my son, and because we had silkies for brooders when I was a kid. We want to raise some eggs in an incubator this year- and have been looking at all the ideas (very cool!)

So- anyone out there from Maple Valley? Issaquah? Renton? Hobart? Kent? Ravensdale? Black Diamond? If so, say howdy.

HI there!

I've got a small chicken set up on a couple acres, and have been enjoying eggs from our hens this past year. I really like our barred rock and buff orpington for the nice large eggs, and because they are so docile. (My americauna is very stand-offish, and she took a 2 month long break from laying- stopped laying eggs from Thanksgiving until she finally laid a blue egg yesterday!) .
I've got a white hen that is supposed to be leghorn, but must be mixed because it lays brown eggs
idunno.gif
. We've also got a silver-laced Wyandotte that had a near-death experience and sported one single tail feather until just recently. My rooster was supposed to be a hen, but he's a easter-egger mix, black with a brilliant green sheen, and brown neck feathers like the americauna hen. Besdies being a mutt, he's not the best rooster, and can't keep track of all the ladies when they are free-ranging. (Sadly, that means he needs to be replaced, because we've got owls, eagles, and hawks galore out here, as well as foxes, bears, and coyotes.)

I have really enjoyed raising chickens, and now I have a waiting list for eggs. So, looks like I need to increase my flock.

I was considering ordering chickens from Murray McMurray, or getting from my feed store (they order from Privett) , but was hoping there was some other local WA state- South or East King County area folks who might have some? I'm trying to diversify my flock for entertainment as well as egg color. My list of "wants" is long and ambitious
jumpy.gif
I'm looking for some polish and -silkies- mostly for entertainment for my son, and because we had silkies for brooders when I was a kid. We want to raise some eggs in an incubator this year- and have been looking at all the ideas (very cool!)

So- anyone out there from Maple Valley? Issaquah? Renton? Hobart? Kent? Ravensdale? Black Diamond? If so, say howdy.

Hi RainMom, I live in Maple Valley as well (been here about 3 years now) and have 4 hens (2 buff oops, one sliver laced wyandotte and one EE who has not give me a blue egg in over a year). I heard on the WA blog that you may be selling chicks (think Chickielady gave your name to another person on the thread) and wondered if you'll be doing any chick hatching in the next few months. I really love my Orps, they are the best chicken and reliable egg layers. I'll never eat my chickens (firm vegetarian - fish only) so they're life long pets (they're only 2 years old or so now) but I (like most) want to add to the flock (although my husband doesn't yet know this).

Just wanted to say "hey" neighbor (I see the above thread was started back in 2013 so disregard if I've got this all wrong.

Have a great 2016!
Melanie

Hi RainMom, I live in Maple Valley as well (been here about 3 years now) and have 4 hens (2 buff oops, one sliver laced wyandotte and one EE who has not give me a blue egg in over a year). I heard on the WA blog that you may be selling chicks (think Chickielady gave your name to another person on the thread) and wondered if you'll be doing any chick hatching in the next few months. I really love my Orps, they are the best chicken and reliable egg layers. I'll never eat my chickens (firm vegetarian - fish only) so they're life long pets (they're only 2 years old or so now) but I (like most) want to add to the flock (although my husband doesn't yet know this).

Just wanted to say "hey" neighbor (I see the above thread was started back in 2013 so disregard if I've got this all wrong.

Have a great 2016!
Melanie

Hi Melanie,

wow, that post is very old! I'm rarely ever reading BYC, but still get message alerts. I'm still in Maple Valley.

I've been raising & breeding Bielefelders for almost 3 years now, but also have cream legbars. The rest of the flock (currently 30-ish) is a mixed flock of layers chosen for egg colors which includes some olive eggers I bred. There's a few "just for fun" chickens here- like my little red frizzled cochin. (affectionately called Ms Pinecone). I've also got a pair of midget white turkeys. I have nice pens, and a decent set up, but I keep dreaming I'll be able to build a nice professional breeding set up here, with automated water and feed... maybe one day, or maybe not.

I can definitely get you baby chicks if you want some- I hatch plenty (not running incubator currently).

Back
Top Bottom