Looking for help ID breed

Apr 10, 2023
Gloucester, MA
Hello. I got four chicks about three weeks ago. I think they were probably close to about a week old or slightly younger. I got them from Tractor Supply. I kind of scrambled to select them because I had my baby with me and was in a bit of a rush. I got an extremely cute little yellow one is supposed to be a buff Orpington—I believe that. I have a black and white one that is supposed to be a barred/Plymouth Rock. The other two I thought were an Ameraucana and an Austrolorpe, but I’m not sure. Can anyone confirm please? And I think three were going to lay brown eggs and i think it said our brown hen would lay blue eggs. TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_5538.jpeg
    IMG_5538.jpeg
    653.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5548.jpeg
    IMG_5548.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5556.jpeg
    IMG_5556.jpeg
    465.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5557.jpeg
    IMG_5557.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5553.jpeg
    IMG_5553.jpeg
    601.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    495.1 KB · Views: 19
The dark one is an EE. The light one may be a male Golden Comet or a meatbird. Just my guesses.
Agreed- the brown/gold is pretty Easter Egger pullet!

The white one isn't an Orpington, and I too think it's a broiler/meat bird.

Is it significantly bigger than the ones you got at the same time? From the pictures it looks like it's out-pacing the EE.

There are potential issues with lifespan/health and feed consumption as the broiler matures. Some folks have pretty good luck with broiler hens- but they're not super prolific layers as that's not what they're bred for.

Fingers crossed it's not a broiler and welcome to BYC!!

EE is another name for Americana. I don't see any barred rock, or black australorp. Are there three pictures of the same white chick?

Give it a few weeks, if the white chick is almost double the size of your other chicks by 4 weeks, it's a meat bird. Cornish Cross most likely, but it's young yet to be sure. These are bred to be eaten at 8 weeks, and will have high protein, food, and water consumption requirements. It's possible to keep them as pets, but difficult, and even with the best management, they rarely live more than 1.5 years. Less than a year is typical. You'd have to restrict food as they grow also, which can be hard as they have a ravenous appetite.

Doesn't look like a white leghorn, which is the other white feathered common option. Could be a white rock.

EE is another name for Americana. I don't see any barred rock, or black australorp. Are there three pictures of the same white chick?

Give it a few weeks, if the white chick is almost double the size of your other chicks by 4 weeks, it's a meat bird. Cornish Cross most likely, but it's young yet to be sure. These are bred to be eaten at 8 weeks, and will have high protein, food, and water consumption requirements. It's possible to keep them as pets, but difficult, and even with the best management, they rarely live more than 1.5 years. Less than a year is typical. You'd have to restrict food as they grow also, which can be hard as they have a ravenous appetite.

Doesn't look like a white leghorn, which is the other white feathered common option. Could be a white rock.
The pics of the white chick are of the same bird. I had the thought the other day that the white one looks like my Barred Rock. Thank you got this info!

Agreed- the brown/gold is pretty Easter Egger pullet!

The white one isn't an Orpington, and I too think it's a broiler/meat bird.

Is it significantly bigger than the ones you got at the same time? From the pictures it looks like it's out-pacing the EE.

There are potential issues with lifespan/health and feed consumption as the broiler matures. Some folks have pretty good luck with broiler hens- but they're not super prolific layers as that's not what they're bred for.

Fingers crossed it's not a broiler and welcome to BYC!!
Thank you! The one in the first photo attached here is supposed to be the Orpington.

And the white one is about the same size as my barred rock, slightly larger than the EE. Not the best pic, but here's one of the rock being in the way while I'm trying to clean their bedding and the white one is in the background. I got all 4 the same day, but I'm not positive how long they'd been hanging out at Tractor Supply.

Attachments

• IMG_5088.jpeg
    IMG_5088.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5536.jpeg
    IMG_5536.jpeg
    614 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom