From NC to Japan, and now in Kitsap County, WA!

Kitsap Cluckers

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Kingston, WA
I joined BYC quite a few years ago when I lived in NC and kept a laying flock. Since then, we've moved around the world. Now we're in the process of settling into our permanent home in Kitsap County, WA! I'll be posting in the state thread since I'm hoping to meet other chicken keepers in the area to learn where to shop for supplies, etc. I'm *hoping* we'll get to inherit the chickens already living on our new property, but if not I'll be in the market for chicks.

Here's a little about me:
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? No. I've kept chickens since I was a small child. I've been on a hiatus for 5 years (3 in Japan, and 2 in Eastern WA while we lived in a rental home.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
My goal is to have 8-10 when settled.

(3) What breeds do you have?
In the past, I kept a flock of barred rocks and mixed-breed layers. I hope to have some olive eggers in my next flock.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love the sights and sounds around the hen house. I find the process of caring for a happy, healthy flock satisfying. I also appreciate generating my own eggs from animals that aren't suffering in a concentrated production facility.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Hiking, gardening, and canning.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have two Great Danes aged 12 and 2, and you can see a pic of these "chicken guardians" attached. I've worked for the Dept of Defense in Environmental Affairs, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing in our new locale.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I believe a friend told me about it years ago...

Attachments

• 96358258_3186325181392006_6289425640110161920_o (1).jpg
    96358258_3186325181392006_6289425640110161920_o (1).jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom