From not so free to free range?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheOLDNewChick, Oct 2, 2007.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Okay. So apparently I just can't get rid of a polish rooster, period. So I was wondering if [since he's quite aggressive] I took him out of the fenced yard and put him out in the pasture to free range with access to water & food if he'd be okay? I have a few more roo's coming up that're gonna have to go. I don't want to get rid of them, though, too attatched. There're plenty of bushes and trees around and a shed for them to get in.. So do you think they'd be okay?

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Probably for a couple of days, leaving them out is a good way to rid yuorself of excess roos, and it feeds the local wildlife.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, if you're going to put them out... I'd rather eat them. Something will most likely get them in the night and that might not be good because it may lead the preaditors to your hens!

4. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I was afraid of that. It's kinda like the "easter bunny syndrome" -and to any of you who've ever raised rabbits, you know what I mean. To those who don't ; you get attatched to the fluffy cuteness and pretty much can't kill it.- , I dunno if I can do it. I have to, though. That's part of it, I guess.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Make a nice soup out of him. And at least he would be put to good use.

6. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    Quote:This sounds yummy to me! [​IMG]

If he's aggressive and you just can't bare to be without him why not make his own lil abode?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by