From stallion to child-safe gelding in less than 8wks-AKA a 2nd career

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kelly G, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Ole - who was a really, really nice an even BETTER gelding!!!! And he is LOVING life!!! He is such a perfect fit here - and we love him so much!

He is calm, attentive and patient....he will stand still as a statue while my students braid his forelock for hours on end! He even falls asleep in the cross-ties!

Here are a couple of pictures of the little-big man from this week -

This one's my favorite -

...and one of Siggy so he doesn't feel left out!

Oh! I meant to post this short (1 minute) video of our little barn (also shows our American Saddlebred, Stanley):
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    He is just gorgeous! I would love to have a Fjord someday. What would you call Ole's color; silver dun? Grulla?
  3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Oh I love Fjords! He's SO handsome! Glad to here that he recovered well after being gelded. [​IMG]
  4. Kelly G

Yes, he is registered as a Gray Dun with the NFHR.

Siggy is a Brown Dun.

I don't know anything about genetics....I just know how they are registered [​IMG]

Hang on....I forgot to post a video I was going to put with the pictures! Check again in just a minute [​IMG]
  5. Kelly G

Quote:Yeah, it's quite an ordeal to geld an older stallion (he just turned 9 in April)...and the after-care was labor intensive! He did great, though! And it's such a privelege for me to have such a nice horse. His owner (who was Siggy's breeder) was cutting back her breeding program due to the economy and a few health issues. She wasn't "selling" Ole...but she knew how much I wanted another one, knew how much work I'd done with Siggy, and knew Ole would be happy as a gelding being adored by children!

His "cuteness" factor doesn't hurt him one bit!
  6. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    He is very nice.
  7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    He's a beauty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by