From the feed store home, how do I keep them warm

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by forestrymom, May 26, 2011.

1. forestrymom

forestrymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    We are 80 miles from the store, and I want dh to pick up some cute little wyandotte chicks today. When we go chicks before, they came with their mother. What do we do to keep them warm until he gets here?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Heater on high in the car, chicks in a covered box on the passenger side floorboard.

That's how *I* do it.

3. constantine337

constantine337 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Brazil
    Depending on how many your getting, you could bring some kind of bedding and a box small enough to keep the chicks close together. They get their warmth from body heat of each other and the smaller box and bedding will help.

4. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Probably depends on where you are. It's 92 here today - so I'd wager they'd be fine if I were driving [​IMG]

5. forestrymom

forestrymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    I'm thinking I'll have him get 3, and its cold here (40), but they could ride in the truck with him. I just don't think he'll want to snuggle them.

6. LadyFunnyFarm

LadyFunnyFarm Out Of The Brooder

I use the heater & floorboard method as well. It's an uncomfortable drive for me, but like all things in motherhood, it's not so much about me, lol. They survived the 45 min trip just fine! Good luck!

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    You could always fill a sock with rice, heat it in the microwave, and then it stays warm for a while. Hot water bottles work, too. Of course, cover up hot things so they're not too hot if the chickies stand on them.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto.

9. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have either a "plug " in your car (some newer ones and trucks/SUV's do) or a converter that plugs into the lighter then into a regular plug, you could plug in a heating pad and put it under the box or in it covered in shavings.

10. MT Chickies

MT Chickies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    I used some hand warmer packs that I had at the house under some pine shavings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by