1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

From the Missouri hills

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JMBailey, Oct 28, 2014.

1. JMBailey

JMBailey New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    Eastern Missouri
    I don't have any chickens clucking in my backyard yet, but I'm very interested. I'd like to raise poultry for eggs, but I also like the idea of having a friendly relationship with them.

I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before I start, so that I can have the greatest likelihood of success. Success, in my mind, means not being surprised by commonplace difficulties and being prepared to deal with them!

I look forward to learning from others' experience.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us. There's a lot of helpful information on this site and a greatly supportive membership. I would start in the learning center, there's a lot of info there. Feel free to ask lots of questions.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

The Learning Center has lots of helpful information: Learning Center Articles
    I would also check out the Coops page for information on building a chicken coop: Coop Designs

What breeds are you interested in? If you haven't decided yet, I would advise looking at the Breeds section: Chicken Breeds - BackYard Chickens Community

Raising chickens may seem somewhat daunting at first, but as long as you research and prepare ahead of time, it is actually rather easy.

Feel free to ask any questions that you have! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have come to the right place for all the learning and fun! Unfortunately there will always be surprises when you keep poultry. LOL They love to take you on a ride of complete mystery! And the learning never stops! Even after decades of keeping chickens, they will keep you guessing.

Definitely stop by the links that BantamLover has provided.

Lots of nice breeds out there. I am a fan of the Orpingtons...Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. Very docile, friendly birds and great on the laying! My girls are 3 1/2 years old and are still laying well. They are also huge lap sitters! Can't sit anywhere without and Aussie wanting some lovin' on my lap.

Great to have you aboard! Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join us. If you want to be certain of friendly relationships with your birds, I would suggest getting birds such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Silkies, Sussex, or Faverolles that have a well deserved reputation for being friendly and gentle. If eggs are a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Buff orpingtons are my favorite breed! Super affectionate and friendly, great layers and pigs basically sums them up!

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Raising chickens is fun and rewarding, have fun with it. [​IMG]

10. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    [​IMG]

Hello and welcome to BYC! Glad to have you and you will learn everything you need to know from this site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by