From the Missouri hills

JMBailey

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 28, 2014
Eastern Missouri
I don't have any chickens clucking in my backyard yet, but I'm very interested. I'd like to raise poultry for eggs, but I also like the idea of having a friendly relationship with them.

I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before I start, so that I can have the greatest likelihood of success. Success, in my mind, means not being surprised by commonplace difficulties and being prepared to deal with them!

I look forward to learning from others' experience.

It's a common mistake. That isn't a hat, I am a Conehead. A descendant of the Coneheads from Remulac, that settled in the south of France

Coneheads were a skit on the old Saturday Night show - also a movie.

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us. There's a lot of helpful information on this site and a greatly supportive membership. I would start in the learning center, there's a lot of info there. Feel free to ask lots of questions.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

The Learning Center has lots of helpful information: Learning Center Articles
I would also check out the Coops page for information on building a chicken coop: Coop Designs

What breeds are you interested in? If you haven't decided yet, I would advise looking at the Breeds section: Chicken Breeds - BackYard Chickens Community

Raising chickens may seem somewhat daunting at first, but as long as you research and prepare ahead of time, it is actually rather easy.

Feel free to ask any questions that you have! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You have come to the right place for all the learning and fun! Unfortunately there will always be surprises when you keep poultry. LOL They love to take you on a ride of complete mystery! And the learning never stops! Even after decades of keeping chickens, they will keep you guessing.

Definitely stop by the links that BantamLover has provided.

Lots of nice breeds out there. I am a fan of the Orpingtons...Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. Very docile, friendly birds and great on the laying! My girls are 3 1/2 years old and are still laying well. They are also huge lap sitters! Can't sit anywhere without and Aussie wanting some lovin' on my lap.

Great to have you aboard! Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join us. If you want to be certain of friendly relationships with your birds, I would suggest getting birds such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Silkies, Sussex, or Faverolles that have a well deserved reputation for being friendly and gentle. If eggs are a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Buff orpingtons are my favorite breed! Super affectionate and friendly, great layers and pigs basically sums them up!

Welcome to BYC! Raising chickens is fun and rewarding, have fun with it.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom