From the scratch

Chicken_Ninja

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2020
Lebanon
IMG_4562.JPG

Planning to raise chicken in this corner, so this community is just the perfect start.
Currently researching the coop design. We have 🦊, 🐶, 🐱, and 🦅 in the area. Weather can get cold in the winter with subzero days and nights, particularly need a scheme for efficient poop cleaning and handling since it is close to the house 💩💩

Any starting tips or suggestions are appreciated 🤘

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Totally new

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Zero, planning to raise 20-30 chickens

(3) What breeds do you have?

No idea yet.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Besides healthy and fresh eggs, it's somehow a contemplative activity.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Photography and outdoors. I enjoy gardening, sundrying fruits, and wood works.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

In the photography domain, have a dog (Bella) and couple of cats that hang around in the garden.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Googled how to catch chicken poop and found the very resourceful discussions in the forums.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Great suggestions from @DobieLover Also, 5 square feet per bird in the coop. 1/2 to 1 square foot of vent space in the eaves. Never close them all off no matter how cold it gets. Chickens produce a ton of moisture and it needs to vent off to prevent frost bite and respiratory ailments.
Good luck with this new adventure and welcome to our community! :)

Hi! Welcome to BYC! You're going to love this place!

Space and easy cleaning methods are how you eliminate odor. Definitely the 5 sf per bird floor space that @TwoCrows mentioned and she means 1/2 - 1 sf ventilation per bird. Here's an article on it. The other thing is to put in poop boards, like @DobieLover mentioned. Here's an article on setting up the inside of a coop with poop boards. Using PDZ on the poop boards and cleaning/scooping them every day will help a lot.

Hi! Welcome to BYC! You're going to love this place!

Space and easy cleaning methods are how you eliminate odor. Definitely the 5 sf per bird floor space that @TwoCrows mentioned and she means 1/2 - 1 sf ventilation per bird. Here's an article on it. The other thing is to put in poop boards, like @DobieLover mentioned. Here's an article on setting up the inside of a coop with poop boards. Using PDZ on the poop boards and cleaning/scooping them every day will help a lot.

Thanks Valerie and everyone, amazing community here! I will check the articles you suggested 👍

My idea so far is having the whole coop floor as a metal mesh under which the poop boards are placed. I would have access to the trays from the outside: withdraw them, scoop the poop with a putty knife into compost and slide them back.

What I have to know at this stage whether it is ok for the floor to be a metal mesh, or it has to be solid to accept bedding like sawdust or something else.

Thanks Valerie and everyone, amazing community here! I will check the articles you suggested 👍

My idea so far is having the whole coop floor as a metal mesh under which the poop boards are placed. I would have access to the trays from the outside: withdraw them, scoop the poop with a putty knife into compost and slide them back.

What I have to know at this stage whether it is ok for the floor to be a metal mesh, or it has to be solid to accept bedding like sawdust or something else.
I don't think that would work nearly as well as you think. The mesh will catch the poop and you'll have a real scraping mess on your hands. I hope you looked up the poop boards that use sand and pdz. Much easier. You definitely want a walk in coop. You will thank me for that advice one day, or say "why didn't I listen" when you're trying to climb into a chicken hutch for cleaning!

Back
Top Bottom