From the scratch

Chicken_Ninja

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2020
Lebanon
IMG_4562.JPG

Planning to raise chicken in this corner, so this community is just the perfect start.
Currently researching the coop design. We have 🦊, 🐶, 🐱, and 🦅 in the area. Weather can get cold in the winter with subzero days and nights, particularly need a scheme for efficient poop cleaning and handling since it is close to the house 💩💩

Any starting tips or suggestions are appreciated 🤘

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Totally new

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Zero, planning to raise 20-30 chickens

(3) What breeds do you have?

No idea yet.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Besides healthy and fresh eggs, it's somehow a contemplative activity.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Photography and outdoors. I enjoy gardening, sundrying fruits, and wood works.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

In the photography domain, have a dog (Bella) and couple of cats that hang around in the garden.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Googled how to catch chicken poop and found the very resourceful discussions in the forums.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Great suggestions from @DobieLover Also, 5 square feet per bird in the coop. 1/2 to 1 square foot of vent space in the eaves. Never close them all off no matter how cold it gets. Chickens produce a ton of moisture and it needs to vent off to prevent frost bite and respiratory ailments.
Good luck with this new adventure and welcome to our community! :)

Thank you! I'm more interested in the raised style so I can place movable trays under the floor for easy cleaning, please check my reply to @ValerieJ
I had the raised style. It worked fine for the chickens. It did NOT for me.
I converted a shed into my coop and use poop boards and would never consider going back to raised floor.
If you build your run as predator proof as your coop you can leave the pop door open 24/7.
You also need to consider how difficult it is going to be to retrieve chickens off the roost to work with them when required. For example, last night I did health checks, routine maintenance and dewormed my flock of 27 birds. This took over 2 hours. I had to do no stooping to do the work. I just walk into the coop, picked up the bird I wanted and went into the brooder room to work with it.
2CAA8E144C7F_1578235491412.png

Hi! Welcome to BYC! You're going to love this place!

Space and easy cleaning methods are how you eliminate odor. Definitely the 5 sf per bird floor space that @TwoCrows mentioned and she means 1/2 - 1 sf ventilation per bird. Here's an article on it. The other thing is to put in poop boards, like @DobieLover mentioned. Here's an article on setting up the inside of a coop with poop boards. Using PDZ on the poop boards and cleaning/scooping them every day will help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom