May 29, 2019
**I'm sharing this ongoing saga for two reasons: (1) to glean insights/experiences from others that might shed light on my EE's plight; and (2) to provide some insights to those experiencing similar issues.**

THE BROKEN THIN-SHELLED EGG AND CROP ISSUE: I've posted before about my 17 m/o Easter Egger, who's historically had issues laying thin shelled eggs almost daily, despite our best supplementation efforts. Well, yesterday what I feared most happened: a fragile egg broke inside of her. She spent the rest of the day rotating between warm epsom salt baths and steam session until she worked the rest out. She was fatigued, mostly uninterested in eating, and clearly not herself. Also, during this time I noticed her crop ballooning out even though she hadn't been eating. Once she passed the rest of the egg, she still seemed off and was passing extremely watery, yellowish green poop (small amounts of poop and lots of clear liquid). So, I decided to take her to the vet this morning.

THE VET TRIP: While I was certain she still had egg material in her and/or another egg that was bound, the vet said she seemed clear and there were no eggs in queue. No signs of infection/egg yolk peritonitis in reproductive area (whew!). So--PLOT TWIST--between her poops and her growing crop, he suspected a GI infection that might have led to both the crop and laying issue. An x-ray determined everything looks *mostly* normal except a *potentially* enlarged liver--he is working on a second opinion on that reading. She will be going on injectable antibiotics, and will have her crop emptied before I pick her up. I couldn't afford bloodwork which he noted could be helpful but might very well turn up nothing (and at $160, after $130 for the x-ray, that would be an expensive nothing). I hope I won't regret that decision.

QUESTIONS: Anyone experience similar issues in a hen? Any recommendations for food (amount/type) to help aid her crop into functioning/prevent further infection? Any liver-friendly supplementation?

I'll keep everyone posted on what transpires. I hope it is in fact a GI infection that can be quickly remedied with antibiotics. There is, of course, the looming chance of Marek's or of a liver issue that might prove impossible to overcome. I guess we shall see. Fingers crossed.

**P.S. I love "Easter" (creative name, I know, for my Easter Egger). She has been my best girl since day one--total lap chicken and belly scratch fiend. Even the vet and vet techs have fallen for her while she's been in their care. They said she's the most laid back, friendly chicken they've seen and that, despite her illness, she is spending her time at the vet's super sweet and interactive with everyone--straight up chillin' and making pals. So, please send your good vibes to this good girl!**

IMG_20200816_192008-01.jpeg

IMG_20200816_160330.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_192008-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200816_192008-01.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200816_160330.jpg
    IMG_20200816_160330.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
How is Easter doing?

Better, but a long road ahead that may still mean an early end. Her x-rays indicated EYP, though it wasn't detected upon exam--no fluid retention in her abdomen/palpable inflammation in reproductive region. So hopefully it was caught early enough.

She's now on two weeks of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. Crop seems to be functioning normally now. Biggest challenge is getting her eating enough. She's alert and strong, but not as interested in food as I'd like. She tends to eat best when around the others eating--they are going to get so fat being used as props for her!

More updates here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-how-do-i-know-if-hen-aspirated.1409055/#post-23130673

Thank you for checking in 😊

Back
Top Bottom