From tool shed to Coop?

Pics
You asked earlier in the thread about a scooper for the poop board - we use a reptile litter scoop and it works well for us - same concept as a kitty litter scoop but finer mesh.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OX0NQY/?tag=backy-20
Have used those for brooder, had to line with window screen.

This works great for all poops...but I sift all the PDZ(only 1/8" deep).
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/615555-org-powder-coated-6-inch-x-9-inch-mesh-drawer-organizer-silver.html

Just got the 2 West side windows installed and caulked. Note the alignment of the windows on the East with regards to those on the West. Should get some good air flow.

The next task is for me to design a frame for the front opening. The frame will house a walk-in door, but I also would like to be able to remove the entire frame/door assembly should some severe weather event arise whereupon I would wish to close the existing 2 shed sliding doors. 2x4's for the outer frame, but not sure what I want to actually make the door frame with...

TWG

20190730_133034.jpg

Blowing air into the coop will push dust and moisture out the other openings,
and protect fan motor from getting clogged with dust(which is a fire hazard).
He has it pretty well protected from rain.
Good point. I was not thinking about the dust from the bedding

Update 8-7-19.

The coop front door assembly is done (see pic below). I can lift this entire assembly into place on to the shed opening and it will lock in place. Likewise I can remove the entire assembly in about 10 seconds.

Getting close.

I need some input from y'all regarding 2 things:
1. chicken entry door dimensions (see pic below of general location)
2. Ramp or step design to allow the hens to get to the roost bar/poop tray. The lip surrounding the poop tray sits at 36" tall. I will re-post the pic of the nest/poop tray/roost bar.

@aart
@jthornton

Thoughts?

TWG

20190807_102455.jpg
Door Placement.JPG
20190725_105146.jpg

Don't think you'd need anything for them to jump up and down from roost board,
unless your floor plan get crowded. Maybe just a step, like a concrete block set tall-wise.

My pop doors are 14W and 18H...
..tho the auto lock I have on one reduces opening to ~14H which doesn't appear to be a problem even for a rather tall cockbird, he just has to duck more.

Oh, and....put the bottom of pop door up high enough to accommodate bedding.
Mine is about 8".

If I'm using something like Pine shavings for bedding, how deep should I apply when first doing so?

TWG
I start with about 2-3", then add as needed....how often that is will depend on how many birds, how long per day they're in there, etc....it's a play it by eye/nose kinda thing.

Back
Top Bottom