From tool shed to Coop?

Pics
Oh, OK... it sure looked like a pop door with it's position...
....never saw a window placed so low<scratcheshead>

There will be 2 windows on that side, both at that same level. On the opposite wall there will also be 2 more of the same windows, but those will be mounted high, as to aid in ventilation via convection. I've done a similar setup in another tool shed with good results in air flow.

Texas Wine Guy

Second East window is in....

Texas Wine Guy

20190723_105202.jpg

Made some progress on the nesting/pooping/roosting unit today.

A question in general: what about lighting inside the coop? Do you guys always have a night light on, or only when you need to enter and see? If you do have a light on all night, any suggestions as to how bright of a light I would want? Thoughts?

TWG

A question in general: what about lighting inside the coop? Do you guys always have a night light on, or only when you need to enter and see? If you do have a light on all night, any suggestions as to how bright of a light I would want? Thoughts?
I have a light for supplemental laying light, but use a headlight when locking up after dark at night

That depends more on your schedule than anything else. If you need to see in there when it's dark a red light would be nice. I leave it dark at night, used to leave the camera IR light on but I think they could see it so I turned it off.

My lights come on at dawn most of the year, from winter solstice 5 minutes is added to each day in the morning with artificial light up to 14 hours of daylight.

JT

That depends more on your schedule than anything else. If you need to see in there when it's dark a red light would be nice. I leave it dark at night, used to leave the camera IR light on but I think they could see it so I turned it off.

My lights come on at dawn most of the year, from winter solstice 5 minutes is added to each day in the morning with artificial light up to 14 hours of daylight.

JT

Okay, that begs the question - aside from me being able to see inside the coop, how many hours of "light" do the hens need, in addition to natural solar light? You stated 14 hours above.

Also, nesting tray/poop tray/roost unit almost done.

TWG

20190723_172646.jpg

Back
Top Bottom