Frost bite help?

My poor Rooster Roopert has frost bite on his comb, it does not seem to bad, but what can I do to help it get better/heal?
And should I post pictures?

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, pictures are always helpful...as far as healing it, the black tissue is dead, and will eventually fall off. I know some people put vasselin on their combs in the winter to help keep frostbite at bay, but as I live in Tx, I have no experience with that...

Ok, I have been doing it wrong.
I have been putting the bagbalm on after he got the frostbite.
Ok, now I know its and every night thing.
Thank you!!

We had big combed birds when I was young and we did nothing. Old timers that have shown birds swear by the ointment thing.

I try to imagine if I was out in the cold with no gloves - would my hands be warmer dry or with vaseline. I don't know.

IMO the application of vaseline or whatever helps more from the massaging of an area that is full of blood vessels rather than what is covering them. Vaseline, after all, isn't a very good insulator.

I could never catch my roosters long enough to apply anything, much less daily.
I do nothing for the frostbite unless it gets infected (it hasn't happened to me), then you should dub.

Unless you keep the birds confined in cold weather and heat the coop, open the windows and get the humidity out.

Quote:
Hu, very true and quite a few good points as well.
Thank you
big_smile.png

And IMP, thank you for the links!!

68634_dsc_0038.jpg

here is a shot of one of my roos, he has the largest comb...Vaseline some say works a tad, but bag balm is ok also, we have cattle and use it on teats that are sore...
either way, if it has already been frosted, there is nothing to do but wait for it to fall off....

Back
Top Bottom