1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frost bite help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitewinterwolf, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    My poor Rooster Roopert has frost bite on his comb, it does not seem to bad, but what can I do to help it get better/heal?
    And should I post pictures?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yep, pictures are always helpful...as far as healing it, the black tissue is dead, and will eventually fall off. I know some people put vasselin on their combs in the winter to help keep frostbite at bay, but as I live in Tx, I have no experience with that...

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

vaseline

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

x2 or bagbalm and if you knpw its going to be cold and freeze put it on before nightfall so it helps to protect the comb.
    Quote:

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Ok, I have been doing it wrong.
    I have been putting the bagbalm on after he got the frostbite.
    Ok, now I know its and every night thing.
    Thank you!!

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    We had big combed birds when I was young and we did nothing. Old timers that have shown birds swear by the ointment thing.

I try to imagine if I was out in the cold with no gloves - would my hands be warmer dry or with vaseline. I don't know.

IMO the application of vaseline or whatever helps more from the massaging of an area that is full of blood vessels rather than what is covering them. Vaseline, after all, isn't a very good insulator.

I could never catch my roosters long enough to apply anything, much less daily.
    I do nothing for the frostbite unless it gets infected (it hasn't happened to me), then you should dub.

Unless you keep the birds confined in cold weather and heat the coop, open the windows and get the humidity out.

7. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Hu, very true and quite a few good points as well.
    Thank you [​IMG]

And IMP, thank you for the links!!

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

here is a shot of one of my roos, he has the largest comb...Vaseline some say works a tad, but bag balm is ok also, we have cattle and use it on teats that are sore...
    either way, if it has already been frosted, there is nothing to do but wait for it to fall off....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by