Frost bite on my roo!!!

Mudpuddle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 26, 2011
Gretna, Ne
My Coop
My Coop
I have a very handsome rooster who wont sleep inside the coop! And his beautiful comb is getting frost bite. I wont be able to show him at the fair at this rate!
hit.gif
I have half a mind to cage him in the barn for the winter! Is there any way to cover it or I dont know... Please help
hmm.png

Quote:
Do the tips look like their dead and scabby? If so then no, he'll lose his points.. if they are just really dark purple (almost black) but not scabby, then he might have a chance at keeping his points.

Welcome to BYC
Frostbite is dangerous. The tips should fall off, but theres a chance of instead getting infected which can kill. Infertility is also caused by frostbite.
Don't worry with the vaseline, it's not going to help his comb. Put a little bit of neosporin on the frostbitten tips everyday. If it gets infected, you'll
have to cut off the black ereas with a sharp pair of scissors. In the future, I'd lock him inside the coop at night. Overall it will keep him safer, and
not only from the frostbite. Be sure the coop isn't holding humidity - humidity causes frostbite. There should be plenty of ventilation, (Above roost
level) and also consider putting in a heat lamp to make it slightly above freezing in there. We, ourselves, dub our birds to prevent this all together
on the comb and wattles. One's opinions on this is differ from the other's, however. Wishing you luck, he's a pretty roo!!
Quote:
The tips of the comb will not come back, sadly.

Ukiah

Last edited:
We haven't had frostbite issues (yet) in our flocks but I wanted to try and clarify a statement made in the post above.

Infertility is also caused by frostbite.

Here is what Raising Chickens for Dummies says:

Roosters with frostbitten combs may be temporarily infertile. But it's not the frostbite that causes the infertility; it’s the amount of cold that the chicken has been exposed to. Usually fertility is restored after conditions improve and the rooster’s body recovers from the stress.

I'm assuming this means that any stress or infections will impact the roos fertility. Wonder if the same happens for roos that are overheated in the summer?

Just curious. I'm not breeding my roos - they are fabulous birds but they are mutts.​

68634_dsc_0287.jpg

here is my handsome boy....

68634_dsc_0038.jpg

here is his comb now...people say vaseline, try bag balm instead...mine is beyond saving..it has hit several of my hens as well...
the black will fall off in the warmer weather, not much you can do to prevent it, unless you lower the humidity in your coop.

Back
Top Bottom