Frost Bite

Jadakraft1

Songster
Jun 27, 2020
Northwest South Dakota
We had approximately 2-3 weeks of -0 degrees. My beautiful rooster got his comb Frost bit pretty bad!! I know it won’t come back to normal, but is there anything I can do for him? Sorry I don’t have any pictures of him!!
I did know it wouldn’t grow back and most of the black has fallen off!! It’s just so sad that he lost the top! I really wasn’t looking for advise I was just mentioning how cold it had been here and some of the experiences we’ve had!!
I’m really no asking for advice, just mentioning it!! Been awhile since I’ve posted anything. He’s good he just lost the beautiful comb!! 😢 He’s good otherwise!! That cold spell was brutal!! Really nothing new for South Dakota though. This is my first winter with my chickens. I’ve had them before just not where I live now!! Plus the others I had, had a bigger area and were free rangers!!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, once tissue becomes frostbitten and necrotic there is nothing you can do to revive the tissue. It is generally best to leave the tissue alone, and not apply ointments such as vaseline, as that can trap bacteria into the tissue, and increase the risk of infection. In a few months, the necrotic tissue will fall off.

X2 leave it alone, it should be fine, watch for infection but resist the urge to go touching it, as I heard the other day “your fingernails are little bacteria shovels” keep them away from things. 😆

Unfortunately, once tissue becomes frostbitten and necrotic there is nothing you can do to revive the tissue. It is generally best to leave the tissue alone, and not apply ointments such as vaseline, as that can trap bacteria into the tissue, and increase the risk of infection. In a few months, the necrotic tissue will fall off.
I did know it wouldn’t grow back and most of the black has fallen off!! It’s just so sad that he lost the top! I really wasn’t looking for advise I was just mentioning how cold it had been here and some of the experiences we’ve had!!

X2 leave it alone, it should be fine, watch for infection but resist the urge to go touching it, as I heard the other day “your fingernails are little bacteria shovels” keep them away from things. 😆
He’s good he just lost the beautiful comb!! He’s good otherwise!! That cold spell was brutal!! Really nothing new for South Dakota though. This is my first winter with my chickens. I’ve had them before just not where I live now!!

I know!! Thank you though

Back
Top Bottom